Part 15 - the end (almost)

What was going to happen between them?
Deep down she knew. She'd always known.

~

"You don't have to go back, you know," Y/N said, half rhetorically and half serious. Her arm was intertwined with his as they made their way down the sidewalk. "I'll miss you too much. You should just stay here."

"You know I have to, love," he mused, swooping down for a second to press a quick kiss to the top of her head. "And I promise I'll miss you more."

"Bet."

"You know I don't know what that means."

She laughed, clinging tighter to him and trying to forget the fact that he was leaving tomorrow. She'd known it was coming for a long time now--ever since the end of June, it had been decided that he would be expected back on August 15th. 15 days to get ready to be present for his father's trial. 15 days to make a reappearance in his world--the world he actually belonged to--that he'd left for almost a year.

"How's packing going?"

"It's going. It's hard to do the wandless magic to extend the bags, but I'm almost done."

"Do you want any help?"

"Not particularly, but I'd like it if you could come hang out with me."

"Okay." Y/N squeezed his arm for the briefest of seconds, just long enough to cause a smile to spread across his face. She leaned over and kissed the corner of his mouth.

"You sure you don't want to just live with me in Chicago?"

"Y/N," he groaned, wrapping his arms around her waist and pulling her closer. "Don't make this any harder than it has to be."

"And what if I do? You'll stay?" She knew that it was unfair to say, especially when the solution to his departure is as easy as summoning the box and changing her mind, but she can't help it. She doesn't miss the flicker of disappointment in his expression.

"Sod off." He rested his chin on top of her head for a few moments, and Y/N breathed in the scent of pine and peppermint for what she knew was going to be one of the last times. "Let's go inside. It's getting late."

The original plan had been to have their last evening tea on the outside porch, but that soon transpired into them sitting together, his comforter draped over their shoulders as they watched the meteor showers outside of his window.

"There it is." His pale and elegant hand reached out from under the bedding to point to the sky, outlining the stars. "Draconis."

"I almost forgot you were rich and from a near royal family, thanks for the soft reminder," she teased, pushing into him from under the blankets. "Also, I know. Astronomy major, remember?"

"Shut up, you love me."

"You're supposed to say 'you know you love me', but that's close enough."

He smiled, the shallow dimples hollowing out a bit of his cheek.

"What time do you have to leave tomorrow morning?"

"7," he said. The air felt colder.

"Oh."

"Yeah." Draco let them dangle on the phrase.

They spent the next few hours sharing light conversation but never delving too deep. Y/N thought it was clear that neither of them wanted to think too hard about what was going to happen. She had hardly thought about it at all—she couldn't. The meteor shows never completely let up, but by about 2am they were looking less dramatic.