Part 10 - You can hate me instead

"Thank fucking god for the generator," said Y/N as she flew around the kitchen, banging pots and pans together in her quest to make New Year's Eve breakfast. Draco was sitting, unamused and completely silent, at the table. They'd been snowed in for a few days now with her parents nowhere near able to make it to the suburbs. For some reason, the entire city of Cincinnati had decided that the day before Christmas was the best time to schedule maintenance on literally every single one of their plows. "Can you imagine living here without heat? Or power? I'd die."

Draco hummed in response. A glance over confirmed that he was deep in thought, a scarlet colored letter clutched firmly in his hand (hello, Nathaniel Hawthorne). Jealousy curdled inside of her as her thoughts turned to a dark place–it was Pansy, that Pansy Parkinson.

Knowing her intuition, she was probably his grandmother or something. Why else would she have written so many letters?

After she finished plating all of the pancakes, she allowed herself to sneak a peek at the envelope.

Astoria Greengrass

She frowned. Astoria? She'd never seen that name before.

"What is this?" asked Draco as he picked up his fork to poke at the pancake on his plate.

Y/N's jaw dropped. "Have you never had a pancake before?"

"A pancake?" He gave his plate a stern look. "It looks...like a soggy pastry."

"Fuck you, I made that," responded Y/N. "Try it with butter and maple syrup. And then tell me it's a soggy pastry."

She took out her fork and knife, demonstrating very clearly what she meant as she spread butter over the top of her pancake. She'd learned that Draco was too proud to ask what she meant when she introduced him to American/muggle foods–the last time he tried to deduce something himself, he ended up pouring ketchup over the top of his hamburger bun instead of actually putting it on the patty.

A sense of satisfaction flowed into her as she saw him follow suit, spreading the warmed butter and dipping a cut piece in syrup. He raised it to his lips, taking a delicate bite.

"Americans really have this for breakfast?"

"Yeah...is something wrong?"

"Nothing. It's just..." He grimaced. "This isn't breakfast. This is dessert food."

"God, your life must be so sad back home," said Y/N. "What does your family make you eat–just straight unbuttered bread under the guise of it being a real breakfast food? Do they let you dip it in your unsweetened, weak tea if you're good?"

He scoffed. "You have no idea how I live back at home."

"And, judging from this conversation, I don't have any desire to know any more."

They ate in silence for the next few minutes. Y/N smiled when she saw Draco reach for a second pancake.

"Two desserts? Draco, I know it's New Year's, but don't get too off the hinges," she teased.

He rolled his eyes, but she could tell her was fighting back a smile. "Speaking of which, how do you celebrate New Year's?"

Draco looked up and met her eyes. "Sorry?"

"How do you celebrate tonight? With your family or your friends, or your...whatever." The cold reality of the fact that she did not really know if he was dating someone back home set in.

"Oh, I don't usually. It's not really a big thing in the magical community," he mused, unaware of her sudden panic.

"Well," she said. "I always celebrate New Year's with my friends. I didn't tell you this sooner because I didn't think that you were going to be here, but I'm kind of hosting a party here tonight. With anyone who can walk here."