Dan hesitates and looks at me, silently asking me what to say with his eyes.

I nod my head at him.

"Um hey" Dan says, "I'm Dan". He stretches his arm to shake Matt's hand.

I see a sign of recognition cross Matt's face, but it disappears quickly.

"Nice to meet you, Dan" Matt says. "Would you like a ride home" Matt continues pointing at his car.

"Uh um" Dan looks nervous, obviously hesitant to accept my step father's offer.

"I'm sure Dan is able to find his way back alone" I say to Matt, and Dan quickly nods his head at my words.

Matt looks between us and then sighs. "You sure?" He asks Dan.

Dan nods his head again and bids us goodbye.

Matt and I watch him leave and when he is out of sight Matt looks at me and gestures for me to go inside the car with his head.

I do as he says and wait for him as he climbs in.

He doesn't really say anything......anything at all. He starts the car and we drive in silence.

I know he must have his suspicions about Dan's identity. He probably has so many thoughts running around in his head right now.

Is he waiting for me to say something? What am I supposed to say though? Ugh I hate my life.

I clear my throat. Hoping that he would I don't know say something? Anything?

I try something else. "Um Matt?"

"Mhm" he replies.

"Uh...I kind of don't know what you're thinking and it's kind of freaking me out" I say chuckling nervously.

He chuckles, but it doesn't seem like a real genuine chuckle. "What would I be thinking about, Francisca?"

I gulp.

Okay he sounds...really mad. " um about Dan? I guess?".

"You guess?" He replies.

"Uhh yes" I say nervously scratching my head.

We sit in silence for about a minute when he speaks again.

"Was that Dan...really your Dan?" He asks.

I hesitate but I then nod my head, I would hurt Matt more by not telling him the truth. I know that.

"Was he the secret you were keeping?" Matt asks.

I nod "yes" I say.

I see Matt's jaw clench.

"When did you find out that you're family was here?" He asks.

"Um...since like our second day here?" Matt look at me with a raised eyebrow.

"The donut  place" I mumble.