"Could I have, Kiyotaka?" Eiichiro asked curiously.

I was confused as to where this change of attitude was coming from, it was almost like a fight between us but it wasn't. It wasn't confrontational, I couldn't quite put my finger on it but something was odd.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I've asked you for help from day one," Eiichiro said simply. "I've asked you to lead the class, I've asked you what I should do with the Sudo situation. I even asked you to teach me whatever you can.

"You offered to buy me a seat in Class A. I'm thankful, but I don't want that. I want to try to get there with my own efforts. You gave me information and I was eager but you wanted to enjoy your summer holidays. So, enjoy it."

"So you are still being sulky," I rolled my eyes in frustration.

Eiichiro simply shook his head and finished his tea. We still hadn't received the VIP information yet but he stood from the table to go.

"I'm not Kiyotaka, I'm just not relying on your help anymore. You're smarter than anyone I know, I believe in you. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if you already had everything figured out already. I just can't rely on you. I have to plan and prepare as though you're not going to participate.

"I've tried to think of a way to incentivise you but what do you offer someone who has everything? I can't offer you points, I can't offer you anything that you don't already have and you don't care about getting to Class A.

"So I'll take charge the best way I can, learn as I go along and hopefully manage to pull a win out. If you decide that you're actually going to participate this time, let me know. I'm sure whatever I come up with will have holes that you will be smart enough to plug. If you decide to." Eiichiro said with finality.

He turned to leave, prepared to continue with whatever his plan was for the rest of the day before pausing and stopping, turning around to look at me.

"You're still and will always be my best friend, Kiyotaka. I love you like a brother. I just can't be a kid anymore. We don't all have your options."

With that he turned around and left.

Stop behaving like a child.

Chabashira's words were starting to echo again. I quickly shook my head to get rid of it before it could take hold.

He wasn't being sulky and he wasn't angry. He just resigned, exasperated with my nonchalance. I can't say that I don't deserve it, I constantly downplay his concerns. Even the concerns that have merit.

I knew he was serious, the bravado and the way he was carrying himself was forced but he was serious. The outward appearance part of it I understood, it was one of the things that I planned to bring up to him when we got back to the school. There were a lot of things that Eiichiro had to work on.

For one thing, physical appearance. It may seem superficial but it isn't. A sloppily dressed leader doesn't exude an air of confidence. Eiichiro has always been a little unrefined. He chews with his mouth open, he curses far too much and he throws his uniform on with little care and doesn't take care of anything else.

Leadership is more so about perception than it is about ability. You don't need to be a good strategist to be a good leader, you just have to have a good strategist that you are willing... to... listen to...

A frown was starting to grow, Eiichiro did have a good strategist he was willing to listen to. One that he trusted whole heartedly who let him down time and again. Another who he believed would help him on the island and then left him high and dry with an early retirement.