Chapter 99: Galar's Heroes

Zorua awoke. It launched itself at Eternatus. It was knocked out on impact. Jamie released all seven of his Pokémon – because he carried a Charizard to fly – to attack all at once. Nothing happened. Heather sent Crobat out. Even Shadow moves had no effect. Neptune reminded Reshiram and Zekrom how to use Fusion Flare and Fusion Bolt. Those attacks were staggeringly strong when used together. They did nothing to Eternatus. Pluto glanced desperately at his grandfather.

'Haven't you read anything, ever, in any of your books that might help us?!'

'If we could find Zacian and Zamazenta... your sister did snag them... but they escaped... and we'd also need the Rusted Sword and Rusted Shield...'

'I'll go.'

Jamie put his helmet back on. Charizard was ready to take off, but Heather grabbed him to pull him back.

'Dad! You'll die!'

'We'll all die if we just stand here!'

Hera crept up on them. She was about to strangle Heather from behind. Pluto whacked her in the face with a fallen pipe first. She fell, but tried to scramble back up. Zorua awoke again to leap onto her face. It scratched and bombarded her with Bitter Malice until she fainted. Eternatus roared. Pluto feebly tried to speak to it. He only found himself on his back on the floor without even realising it was happening.

'I... I've talked to hundreds of Shadow Pokémon... but never... never one this full of hatred... I've never felt so hopeless in my life...'

A fireball blew the doors off their hinges. Two panting people ran up the steps. Even as their surroundings became blurred, the rust that dusted the ground was clear. So were the silhouettes of the Rusted Sword and Rusted Shield that they held high over their heads.

Echoing howls clarified every stifled thought. Gaping holes were blasted in the suffocating shadows, to reveal a hopeful blue sky beyond, by streaks of red and blue like shooting stars. Paws skidded to a halt. Zacian and Zamazenta stood before their heroes: Muirne and Rigel.

Neptune's eyes welled up and overflowed. If he died then, he would at least die having finally seen his son not only standing before him, but standing before him as a hero.

The Rusted Sword and Shield flew from their hands. Zacian seized the sword. Once it was in its jaws, it was golden once again, as was the shield that became Zamazenta's golden mane. Zacian's eyes met Reshiram's. Zamazenta's met Zekrom's. They nodded. They launched Fusion Flare and Fusion Bolt. Eternatus' claw shook and squirmed. Heather and Pluto rushed back to their sides. Everyone sent out their Pokémon. Eternatus finally attacked. Beams of shadow, that engulfed all who saw them in hopelessness, shot in all directions. Zamazenta leapt to block every one. It was never knocked from the air. Zacian slashed at Eternatus until its entire body shook. Fusion Flare and Fusion Bolt shot at it together until they became a blinding fusion that covered Eternatus. It was burned and paralysed. Then, suddenly, Eternatus' claw struck Zamazenta down. It squeezed it until it yelped and gasped.

Zorua had an idea. It morphed into an illusion of Victor. It was sure it remembered seeing Victor and Gloria together at one of the matches Pluto attended. Did they share the same accent?

'Eternatus! It's me, ye mate Victor! Well, it's not really me, but ye know that woman – the one who did this to ye – killed me! Don't do this!'

Eternatus let go of Zamazenta. It froze for a moment. Rigel's Cinderace booted Pyro Ball. The claw was flung back into Eternatus' coiled body. Muirne's strongest Pokémon was her Togetic, which still wasn't particularly strong, but Eternatus shook when it threw itself at it; even if it was unconscious when it landed back on the tower summit.