Chapter Sixteen:  As free as a prisoner.

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"I just need to talk to the contractors and then I'm taking you shopping!" She announce giving me a quick hug, before floating out of the room, as the nervous maid approached me woefully.

"I'm sorry about before madam, it won't happen again." She apologised looking down at her feet.

"It's fine, I should be the one to apologise, and it's just Mila, please..."

Letting out a breath she looked more relieved as she gave me a clean set of clothing, and what looked like the remote control for a garage door. 

Staring at her quizzically a look of sudden realisation doed upon her. 

"Oh, that's for if you need me, just press the red button." 

Laughing, the thought suddenly didn't seem so ridiculous as I got out of bed too quickly. Although my muscles felt much stronger than before, I still felt a little weak; almost like hadn't slept well in a few days.

Shakily shutting the door behind me I decided on a hot shower rather than another bath. 

The warm water spilling all over me I looked at myself for the first time, as I washed myself with a shower cream that smelt like a combination of milk and honey. 

Now a blue-y green I was reminded of my other kidnapper by the bruises that covered me. 

The sight made me feel more apprehensive about going out. 

Even though he had said that he wouldn't be 'bothering' me again. 

Him asking what I was all of a sudden made more sense... 

Could he have sensed what was happening to me? 

With that thought in mind I couldn't help but wonder if he wasn't on my track again after what happened with my father. 

Or maybe that was just what I hoped for.

How was it that he could forget a kiss like that? I swooned at the thought of his soft lips against mine, his strong arms wielding me in a perfect embrace...

But as soon as the thoughts came, they went as rational thinking set in.

He kidnapped me! He was someone to be feared and forgotten- not swooned over.

With me of course not spilling any information about my kidnapper, nor 'big cheese', Lucy on the other hand told me all about her love interest, with a boy named Miguel, as she blow dried my hair into soft wavy curls.

"He'd never go for me of course..." she explained, sighing heavily. 

"What just because he's some rich kid?"

"Well that too..." she chuckled humourlessly. 

"But..." 

"I'm a mortal Mila."

There it was. 

The one word that seemed to make anything cast underneath it inferior. It was the one thing I had hated most about this town: excluding people that weren't 'good enough', but only now it wasn't just based around wealth...

"Oh come on!" 

"Have you ever watched Twilight?" I chuckled, trying to lighten the mood. 

But it was like the message was lost in translation... Shaking her head 'no' I was dumbfounded. 

Well so much for that analogy... 

"Wow..." 

"Well, since you haven't... how about we watch it tonight?" I enthused as I saw her still glum expression. 

"We can make it into a girls' night- I will organise it with Gen."

But despite her enthusiasm at the start, her face soon fell at the mentioning of Gen's name. 

"That's very gracious of you Mila, but maybe another time..." 

"I'm sure there will be lots to do after tonight." 

I knew that her excuse had some validity, but more than anything that she was probably afraid of what Gen thought of her, and that she perhaps saw her as inferior - like Elvira saw me. 

Not wanting to push any further I left it at that, perhaps a mortal only night in the not so distant future, would be a good thing.

The mentoning of the 'family dinner' however, spoiled my good mood after this morning. 

In a way I knew exactly what Lucy felt. 

We were trapped somewhere, where we weren't even wanted nor recognised as anything special. 

But only this time it was much, much worse than whispers behind our backs. This time my inferiority will be discussed- in detail- by super human strangers; so called 'family' I had never even met.

Choking on the fumes of the hairspray I for the first time noticed how nice my hair looked, as I took a glance in the mirror. 

The fishtail braid Lucy plaited my hair into was simple, but done perfectly, framing my face.

Thanking Lucy, she quickly handed me a tailored leather jacket and Dolce handbag to match, as she shooed me out of the door towards the main entrance, where Genevieve was waiting in a cream cashmere sweater and match pumps.

"You ready?" She enthused her eyes sparkling, as she led us out to the black Lamborghini that stood in the middle of the driveway.

Nodding yes, I tried too look enthusiastic as possible, but in reality I had mixed emotions. 

I was apprehensive, excited and even a little sad to go out.

I was excited because for the first time in days I would have some freedom. I'd be able to breathe the mountain air as drove down Mt. Julia with the top down, and even drink coffee at a café if I wanted too, I wasn't a prisoner. But I was also apprehensive because I knew that I could possibly be kidnapped by a mystery lover I knew nothing about, someone who tried to both have his way with me and kill me.

And finally, I was mostly sad. I internally wished to see my mum, wondering around a cake shop, to hug her, tell her I love her. It was like I was free, but only to an extent- the reality being that I probably wouldn't see her, or Lily by some sick twist of fate, in which good fortune would actually be in my favour.

But with all of this in mind, I decided to make the best of it. Like a prisoner on a day pass, I knew that captivity was inevitable, but for the moment atleast, I was free.