Manik yelled loudly. Nandini flinched and the baby cried louder than ever.

Nandini gasped, everything hitting her at once she opened her eyes. She let out a strangled cry, gasping for air and coughed. Manik who sleeping beside her woke up the next moment.

Manik: Nandini? God! Baba, kya hua?

His first reaction was panick but as he processed everything, he realised she might have seen a bad dream. Turning on the lights, he wiped the sweat from her face and filled up a glass of water for her. She gulped down half of it in large sips and he carressed her back gently.

Manik: It is okay, relax. Bura sapna dekha?

She looked at him, silent and scared. Her whole figure was shivering and he wondered what scared her like this.

Nandini: Y-You- You yelled at our baby.

It was an accusation. Manik's eyes soften, realising what it was. He gently held her hand and tried to cup her cheek.

Manik: Nandini- I am sorry.

Nandini: No! O-our baby, he was crying so much and- and you didn't hold him. You yelled at him to shut up. You- you didn't love our baby.

She accused again pushing him away and tried to stand up. Her mind was so messed up that she couldn't differentiate between reality and a dream. For her, it had happened. She saw it with her own eyes. Manik didn't get up. He hated her baby as he said he would. How could he?

Manik: Nandini, baby- it was a dream. Please calm down.

Nandini: no, our baby- he was here, Manik.

She pointed at the particular spot where she had seen the baby cot. Manik stood up too to hold her but she moved back wiping her face harshly and walked to the couch before he could do so. She pointed at the couch and gulped before looking at Manik.

Nandini: Y-You were sitting here. You didn't get up when our baby was crying. He- He was crying so much. I- I couldn't even hold him, Manik.

And with that, she broke out into sobs. Manik felt the moisture hitting his eyes as he stared at her. He slowly walked to her, scared she would push him away but was glad when she didn't. He held her tightly, close to his heart which was thudding so loud.

He had no idea what was happening to them. In the middle of the night, they were crying and breaking apart.

Manik: It was a dream, only a dream. Nothing real baby.

Nandini: but it felt so real, Manik. You didn't even hear me. I called you. Why didn't you, Manik?  I was so helpless. I wanted to hold him. He was crying so much.

She couldn't stop muttering under her breathe. Manik didn't even know what was she crying for now, was she crying because she couldn't hold the baby? Or was it because she called out for him and he didn't hear her? He always did, how dare he not in her dream?

He wanted to go back in her dream and hug her tight, tell her sorry for he made her cry but he was helpless. All he could do was hold her as she cried her heart out.

As the time passed, her cries subsided to mere sniffs. Manik slowly took her to the bed and helped her lay down. He left her hand for a moment to turn off the light and get on the bed, when she held his hand immediately.

Nandini: Don't go, please.

Manik smiled, amidst the tears as he kept his palm over her hand.

Manik: I am here, just a moment?

Nandini left his hand slowly and watched as he switched off the lights before walking to the washroom. He came out within few minutes, eyes red from all the rubbing and crying he did inside and laid beside her quietly.