chapter nineteen

"Check this out. The War Zone." Eddie pointed at an advertisement in the newspaper. Everyone else gathered around the table. Steve and Susie stood on opposite sides.

"I've been there once." Stated Eddie. "It's huge. They got everything you need for, uh...well, uh, killing things, basically."

"Do you think fake Rambo has enough guns there?" Asked Robin. "Is that a grenade?" She noticed in the picture. "I mean, how is any of this legal?"

"Well, lucky for us it is, so..." Eddie replied. "This...This place is just far enough outside of Hawkins. "As long as we steer clear of main roads, we ought to be able to avoid cops and, uh, angry hicks." He assured, flashing the group a smile.

"If we're trying to avoid angry hicks, maybe we shouldn't go to some store called The War Zone." Erica countered. Dustin agreed in silence.

"Normally, I'd agree, but we need the weapons." Nancy spoke up. "So I think it's worth the risk."

"Me too." Susie stated.

"Same here." Lucas added.

"Yeah, but is it worth the time? It'll take all day to bike there and back." Dustin argued.

"Who said anything about bikes?" Eddie smirked.

"What, you got some sort of car we don't know about?" Steve questioned.

"It's not exactly a car, Steve." Eddie described. "And it's not exactly mine, but, uh...it'll do." He smiled. "Hey, Red, uh, you got a ski mask or bandanna, something like that?" Eddie asked Max.

Max paused for a moment to think, then raised her eyebrows. After going to her room to retrieve the mask, she came out with a Michael Meyers halloween mask.

Eddie stared at it for a moment. He sighed. "Yeah, that'll...that'll do."

The group crept outside of the trailer, following Eddie's lead up until they reached an RV. The owners of it sat outside on their fold up chairs, too distracted to notice the group of teenagers run past them.

Eddie stopped on the opposite side of the RV. He pulled open one of the windows and hopped inside. Everyone did the same after him.

Eddie took off the mask and rushed to the steering wheel, then pulled out the wires, cutting them.

Steve approached him. Susie was not too far back from the scene. She watched as well.

"Where'd you learn how to do that?" Steve questioned.

"Well, when the other dads were teaching their kids how to fish or play ball, my old man was teaching me how to hot-wire." Eddie explained. "Yeah, well, I swore to myself I wouldn't wind up like he did, but now I'm wanted for murder, and soon, grand theft auto." He laughed in disbelief. "So, uh, I'm really living up to that Munson name.

"Eddie." Robin ran past Susie and stood beside Steve. "I'm not sure I love the idea of you driving." She mentioned.

"Oh, I'm just starting this sucker. Harrington's got her." Eddie assured, smirking at Steve. "Don't ya, big boy?"

Robin and Steve remained silent out of confusion. Suddenly, the engine started up. The owners of the RV finally noticed what was happening and started banging on the vehicle.

Steve and Eddie quickly switched places while everybody went to sit down. Susie looked for somewhere to sit in the back, but all the seats were taken.

"Susie, sit down!" Nancy shouted.

"Everybody, hang on to something!" Steve called out.

Panicked, Susie quickly made her way to the passenger seat beside Steve.