chapter eleven

Authors note: there's a lot of confusion regarding Susie/Nancy's age and whether Steve is actually a year older than them or not. For the sake of this story, let's just say that Susie, Nancy, and Steve all graduated high school during the same year. Therefore, they all graduated now, Nancy just works as a kind of mentor at the school paper, and it's just Robin and Eddie who are seniors. Thank you for your understanding :)

I'm pretty sure Nancy is supposed to be a year younger than Steve, but we're just gonna ignore that

Summer flings. What were they ever good for? Nothing, it seemed. They only lasted for those two months of bliss before real life came crashing in. And then, it was like it never even happened.

Steve and Susie never knew how to commit. Therefore, they remained as a summer fling. After Susie had gone off to spend a week away during the last week of summer, the two of them had realized that maybe they were better off as friends.

There was no way to explain it. They never fought, well, they fought a couple times. It was never anything serious. However, maybe that was the point. They didn't take the relationship very seriously at all.

It was awkward at first but, by the time March rolled around, everything was back to how it used to be with Steve and Susie. How it was when they worked at Scoops Ahoy, minus the hatred.

"Then there's Heidi tomorrow night, but the problem with Heidi is that she's going out of state for college." Steve rambled on about his dates with girls to Robin and Susie constantly. He had become obsessed with finding a girl to have a serious relationship with following his previous failures.

Susie sat in the back seat of the car, bored, while Robin sat in the passenger, doing her makeup.

"So, it's like, do I really wanna start another relationship that has no point other than sex?" Added Steve. "I mean, I just--I don't know. Does that makes sense to you?" He turned to Robin first. She did not respond.

"Robin, are you listening?" He spoke.

"Uh, yes. I-"

"What did I say? What did i say?" Steve was becoming frustrated.

"Something about sex with--with Linda." Robin replied.

"No, i'm talking about Heidi!" He shouted.

"Cut me some slack, please!" Robin responded in annoyance.

"Well--"

"Your love life is one of labyrinthine complexity, and it is 7:00 in the morning, we have to go to the stupid pep rally, and I woke up looking like a total corpse." Complained Robin stressfully.

Susie watched the two of them argue wile she remained silent, tiredly leaning back in her seat.

"You're worried about a basketball pep rally?" Steve scoffed. "You expect me to believe that?"

"Yeah? So?" Robin sighed.

"So, we all know what this is about." Continued Steve. "Okay? I'm not buying that bullshit. This is about Vickie." Steve concluded. Both Susie and Steve knew about Robin's everlasting crush on Vickie from band. They almost never heard the end of it. When Robin told them that she was attracted to women, neither of them had a problem with it. Robin was relieved. Ever since then, she was never quiet.

"Absolutely not." Denied Robin.

"Yes, it is. And you know what else I think?" He added.

"I really don't care--"

"I think you gotta stop pretending to be someone else when you're around her." Steve stated. "You just gotta be yourself."

"Real inspirational, Steve." Susie commented sarcastically.