Chapter 22: Afterparty

Começar do início

*

"You look thoroughly miserable." Camille dropped into the chair beside me, setting her sparkling purse down on the ivory tablecloth.

Once the show had wrapped up, we'd moved on to an afterparty. Whenever I'd imagined showbiz afterparties, they'd been raucous affairs with excessive drinking, scandalous dancing, and saucy hook-ups. That would have been more in my comfort zone. This was far too civilised.

A dancefloor dominated the middle of the room, but those brave enough to hit the wooden tiles only swayed politely to the beat of the music. Round tables filled the outer space, bottles of wine in the centre of each one, almost like a wedding venue. A few people had taken a seat, but most loitered around the bar, chatting, networking, or doing whatever else famous multimillionaires do.

"Not miserable. Just tired," I replied, the lie coming easily.

I had nothing against Camille. If Helen had introduced us, that meant she'd either been thoroughly vetted and deemed trustworthy, or there was an ulterior motive at play. Either option could be possible with Helen. Whichever it was, I exercised caution.

"Your man smashed it tonight," she then said, slinging one leg over the other as she leaned back in the chair, bright green eyes landing on Ed by the bar. "And so did you."

"Went as smoothly as it could have done."

"Mmhm... Very convincing, I must say. Don't know why you needed my help, although you do look hot."

"Thanks." I shot her a wry smile, not taking the carrot that she dangled in front of me.

And credit to her, she didn't pry. She did, however, lean a little closer, her jasmine perfume drifting over me.

"Let me know if you want to get out of here. Nobody will notice."

This time I did take the carrot. "And go where?"

She lifted one shoulder in a shrug. "Wherever you like. Personally, I always feel the need to go somewhere grounded and liberating after stuffy events like this. Let my hair down, blow off some steam... That kind of thing. After my first one especially... I needed a dose of dirty reality."

My interest was officially piqued, but I knew better than to instantly agree.

"Maybe. I need to stick this out for a bit longer first."

"Sure. And obviously we'll have to get changed before heading anywhere else. Remove the disguises and all that." She winked and knocked the toe of her shoe against mine. "No pressure either way. Just let me know."

Camille rose from her chair and strolled towards the bathrooms, stopping en route to wind her arm around Jamie's neck and plant a kiss on his cheek. His hand latched onto her arse and squeezed. Those two had to be fucking.

An outstretched hand with a leather bracelet dangling from its wrist interrupted my field of vision. I lifted my eyes to Ed's face.

"Want to dance?" he asked.

I huffed out a sigh. "I'd love to, but I've not seen anyone here I'd like to dance with yet."

"That's not a problem since I'm the only one here you're supposed to be dancing with." His face remained relaxed and pleasant, but his eyes darkened in warning.

With an innocent smile, I slipped my hand into his and pushed up from my chair. Several pairs of eyes followed us as Ed led me onto the dance floor. Finding a space, he spun me once then pulled me flush against his solid body, his palms sliding down my sides to settle on my hips. I resigned myself to a few minutes of not-so-unpleasant torture as my arms looped around his neck and my head dropped to his shoulder, drinking in his spicy cologne, trying not to think too hard about the warmth that spread from his hands to gather between my thighs.