Chapter Fourteen: Noah

Start from the beginning

He looked over his shoulder again. Why did he keep doing that? Who was he looking at? The Burns? His wife? "Of course, of course. It's just everyone is wondering what you're going to do. A barn is an important thing to lose. At least, that's what they've told me."

"That's right thoughtful of everyone to send you over so that I am not overwhelmed by their concern." Sarcasm was not appropriate on Sunday, I knew, especially when it could be interpreted as me being mean spirited. But I was beyond annoyed. "As to what I am going to do...well, I'll just keep doing what I've been doing since I came west: surviving. The unexpected happens, and all a person can do is adapt."

Wait. He'd said he was surprised to see me. Did he think I was going to leave the territory because of what had happened?

"You lost your herd, your savings," Collins said stubbornly. "How are you going to recover from that?"

Odd. How did he know about the cattle? There were only a few people who knew about my herd and even fewer knew it had taken most of my savings to buy the animals. Was it a guess? Or was there something more?

"Well, those things would be difficult to recover from, if it had happened," I said, nodding my head. "You'll be glad to know that things are not so dire as that. Most of the herd was found. I already have a barn. I shouldn't have any trouble getting through the winter."

Was it a slight exaggeration? Yes, but it was mostly true. If I was frugal and the weather stayed well, I didn't see any reason I wouldn't be able to make things work. It wouldn't be easy, but it also wouldn't be impossible.

Collins stared at me in shock. "It could have been so much worse," I added. "I am thankful it was not, and that I've had the help of friends to recover."

"Friends?" he repeated, his expression becoming confused. "Who—?"

"You can tell anyone who asks that I am doing just fine," I interrupted. Would anyone who helped me get caught in the crossfire of whatever vendetta the Burns' had with me? "The barn was a loss, but as I said it has been replaced. I will be back on my feet in no time."

Collins' face flushed. "Good, good." He cleared his throat. "Well, that's good then."

He didn't sound particularly pleased by the information. So much for him being on my side. "Have any letters come for me lately?" I asked.

"Well—"

"Noah, good to see you," Michael Rollen said as he walked up. "What's this I hear about you packing up and heading back East?"

Packing up? Is that what Collins had been trying to hint at? "Now where would have heard a crazy story like that?" I asked, holding my hand out. "If you don't have other plans, how does lunch at Mrs. Royal's cafe sound and I can tell you what happened. It is... quite the tale."

"With you, I'm sure it is." Rollens turned to the storekeeper. "I'm sure you're as relieved as I am that the rumor was false. Where would we be if we believed every wild tale that popped up, am I right?"

Mumbling something unintelligible, Collins hurried to join his family. "Did I interrupt something? Rollen asked, his tone puzzled.

"No." This was neither the time or the place to explain.

Looking unconvinced, Rollen nevertheless went to begin the service. My gaze was caught by the Burns' family again. Jake Burns was glaring at me. I stared back, refusing to cower or back down. I had done nothing to him, but he...well, he had done quite a bit to me.

After a few seconds, he flinched and looked away.

Point to me. Finally.

~*~