Divorce is Always Fun

Marriage is a beautiful, magical thing. From the fairy tale like wedding and the romantic honeymoon, to buying a home together and beginning a new chapter in both your lives. It was so different from dating, even when you lived with your partner before you got married.

With Marriage came children. A beautiful, amazing daughter that fulfilled the couple's life completely. Parenthood was amazing, watching a little human grow and learn so quickly was an honor.

Marriage was absolutely incredible...

Until your wife cheats with her boss for a year, and tells you over a mother fucking text.

"This is the fourth court date that Ms Anderson hasn't shown up for. We warned her that if she didn't show up again, all of her parental rights would be forfeited." The judge said with a heavy sigh. Jake sat there, completely numb. He knew this was coming. He's been a single dad raising his daughter, Avery completely alone ever since Clara moved out, but now that he was here, it felt like he could breathe.

If you told Jake Pitts seven years ago when he got married that it would lead to this, he would have laughed. Jake really thought he had the perfect life, but clearly he was wrong. It completely blindsided him when his wife- ex wife, Clara texted him four months ago to inform him that she had been cheating on him with her boss for the last year.

Texted him.

Seven years of marriage and a child together and all he got was a fucking text.

Mother fucking Steve.

He could not understand why she would do this to him- hell, to their! It was like Clara didn't even have a daughter anymore. The only time she ever visited Avery was to grab things from the house. She never stayed any longer than it took to pack, and it always ended in Avery crying because she couldn't understand why her mother was leaving again.

Jake had tried to be civil for Avery's sake. He might have issues with Clara, but he wasn't going to drag his girl into it so he would make co-parenting work.

Apparently that was unnecessary though because Clara refused to come to custody hearings. She always had some sort of excuse.

"I hear by will be rewarding all custody of Avery Pitts to her father, Jake Pitts. If Ms Anderson wants visitation, she will have to file with the state at a later date." The judge said before hitting her gavel against her stand. "Court dismissed."

Jake's lawyer rubbed his shoulder, a sad smile on his face. "You got the house and the kid." He tried, hoping that would comfort the young man.

Jake vaguely nodded, still staring at nothing in particular. Clara didn't fight for anything, siting that all she wanted was to start her new life with her lover and that Jake could have everything that she didn't pay for. That was the thing though, Jake couldn't afford the house payment by himself.

Clara knew that too.

Things were expensive in the economy, and he knew that he would never be able to afford that house payment. He had considered asking for a loan from his dad, or even the bank. Just enough to get by until he could find a better paying job, but eventually en decided against all of that.

Clara loved that house. She put her heart and soul into it.

So he was going to sell it.

She should have fought for the house or at least fight for financial stake in it if that was her plan because now that he was going to have to sell it, he got to keep all the profits from it and not give her a dime.

Jake stood up on shaky legs, and made his way out of the court room. He ripped his tie off and undid the first few buttons of his shirt, trying to breathe steadily.