Chapter 22

Lyra

Hailey was at the apartment babysitting Macie. Apparently she was in on the whole thing.

Macie wasn't thrilled to see me and even went so far as to ignore me. She stomped up to her room and I sighed before following her up. I couldn't stand her being upset with me, but I understood why she was.

"Macie? Can we talk?" I asked from her doorway. She didn't respond so I went and sat down next to her on her bed.

"Go away," she said. "I'm mad at you."

"I know. That's why I want to talk."

Macie sat up and looked at me. She looked so angry for a minute but then that just melted away into sadness. "You left me," she said.

Unable to help myself, I pulled the little girl into my arms and hugged her as she cried. I'd been left by enough people to know what she was feeling right now.

"I'm so sorry Macie, it was the hardest thing I ever had to do." And I wasn't lying when I said that. Over the week that I was gone, I had felt so guilty for leaving Macie. There were days where I was so tempted to run over to the penthouse and grab her, but I couldn't.

"Than why did you do it?"

"Because I'm an idiot." Macie turned and saw Brandon standing in the doorway like I had minutes ago.

He came and sat down next to me. "I hurt Lyra's feelings really bad, that's why she left."

"Why did you do that?" Macie asked.

"He didn't mean to," I jumped in. "And he made up for it so I'm back. For good."

"Really?" Macie asked skeptically.

"Really."

"Good. Daddy sucks at baking."

I laughed as Macie hopped off the bed and dragged me downstairs. Brandon just shrugged, not denying the accusation.

Down in the kitchen, Macie got started on the cupcakes while Hailey and I supervised.

"I guess I have to go back to Atlanta now," she sighed. "My boss is pretty mad."

"So quit."

"I can't. I need a job."

I smiled and looked at Hailey. "I'm thinking of opening another shop," I told her. "In Atlanta. But I want to keep the business in the family."

"You want me to run it?" Hailey asked, shocked.

"I can't think of anyone better."

Hailey threw her arms around me. "Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm gonna call my boss right now!"

I laughed as Hailey ran off to call her boss. I know she'll do great running The Sweet Spot.

"Lyra!" Macie shouted.

"What can I do for you Macie?"

"I need you to put these in the oven."

I did as she asked and she put her timer on. When they came out of the oven, we chilled them and frosted them.

"These are great Macie! How come you needed me?"

"I don't know." Macie shrugged. "Daddy just always found a way to mess it up."

I laughed and wiped a bit of frosting off of Macie's cheek. "That's ok. We can't all be good at baking."

Macie and I laughed together as we ate our cupcakes.

"You coming back to work on Wednesday?" I asked. "I have customers asking for you."

"Duh," Macie said. "You need me."

I chuckled and gave Macie a hug.

She was right. I do need her.

We ordered pizza for dinner and had a little movie night. Macie insisted on Tangled even though we've watched it a million times. It's the only movie she picks.

"She bakes," Macie said with a shrug.

"So does Tiana," I argued.

"There's always next time."

I laughed and put on Tangled. Next time indeed.

I was snuggled up next to Brandon on the couch when Macie's soft snores interrupted the movie. Brandon gently picked her up and brought her to her room.

I followed but went in the direction of my old room here instead.

"Where are you going?" Brandon asked, his arms going around my waist.

"To bed?"

"That's not our room though."

"Our?" I asked turning around in Brandon's arms to face him.

"I thought I made it pretty clear that I can't go a second without you. Even while I'm sleeping."

I giggled and Brandon picked me up. He carried me down the hall to our room and plopped me down onto the massive bed.

I hadn't brought any clothes with me, Brandon said we'd get them tomorrow, so I wore one of his shirts to sleep in. It fell almost all the way down to my knees.

I climbed into bed and Brandon climbed in next to me wearing a pair of sweatpants. His arms wrapped around my waist and he pulled me to him.

"Goodnight my love," he whispered in my ear.

"Goodnight."

I fell asleep in the arms of the man I loved and slept better than I ever had before.