Chapter 21

Lyra

Hailey's been helping out in the bakery and it's been great. I've been missing having Macie around here, but Hailey definitely helps.

It was a Monday so I was sitting with Mrs. Larson while she ate her cupcake.

"Why are you so glum?" She asked. I shrugged my shoulders. "It's a boy isn't it?"

I looked up with my jaw dropped. "How did you..."

"Years of experience Honey," she said, patting my hand. "Now tell me all about it."

"Hey! I've got to run," Hailey interrupted, rushing out of the store. "Brandon has an important meeting and needs a babysitter."

"Ok. See you in a bit."

Hailey gave me a weird smile and rushed out of the shop.

"Well that was weird," Mrs. L said, watching Hailey run down the sidewalk like a crazy person. "Now, tell me all about this boy."

"There's not much to tell. I love him but he doesn't love me."

"Bah! I don't believe it. Of course he loves you."

I gave Mrs. L a sad smile. "I'm afraid not. He loves somebody else."

"Lyra, if there's one thing I've learned in my long, long life it's that men are stupid. It takes them a little longer to catch up to us. Just give him some time. He'll realize what an idiot he is and come running back."

A line was starting to form so I patted Mrs. L's hand and got up. But then the door opened and the last person I expected to see came in.

I froze in my spot as my eyes connected with his. He looked frantic until his eyes settled on me.

"That's him isn't it," Mrs. L said.

I couldn't even respond.

"All right! Everyone out!" Mrs. L shouted. She got up and started herding customers out of the shop. "Shop's closed. Come back another day."

Some customers scoffed, but others smiled at me and left without a problem. When the shop was empty, Mrs. L went back to her seat and sipped on her tea. "Carry on."

I would've laughed if I could or maybe shaken my head at the older woman, but I physically couldn't move. It was like the whole world was gone and all that was keeping me here was Brandon's eyes.

Slowly, he started walking to me, never letting his eyes leave mine. It was the most intense moment of my life. My heart was pounding so loud I was convinced all of New York could hear it.

"Lyra," Brandon said, taking my hand in his. "I'm an idiot."

I scrunched my brows. Out of all the things he could've said, that's not what I was expecting.

Brandon's hand caressed my cheek and I know I should've stopped him, but I couldn't. I physically couldn't. At least, not yet. In a second. I just need one second.

"I didn't see what was right in front of me and now I'm worried I'm too late."

"What are you..."

"I love you Lyra. I'm so sorry I didn't see it sooner, and I'm sorry I hurt you because of that. I thought I had to stay with Claire, but I don't. The choice is mine and I choose you. If you'll have me," he told me.

I blinked. And I blinked again. "What?"

"I love you Lyra," Brandon said. "I love you so much."

"Say that again," I said in a daze.

"I. Love. You."

I threw my arms around Brandon's neck and hugged him with all I had. "I love you too."

Brandon's lips were on mine the moment the words left my mouth. His lips were so soft against mine as he kissed me with all he had. He poured all of his feelings into that kiss, only pulling back for air.

"I'll take that as my cue to leave."

I jumped away from Brandon, blushing fiercely. I'd completely forgotten Mrs. L was here.

"Oh stop blushing, it's nothing I haven't seen before."

That only made me blush more and Brandon chuckled.

Mrs. L walked to the door, but turned back before she left.

"I told you so."

"Yeah. You did."

Mrs. L left and I turned back to Brandon.

"What did she tell you?"

"That you're an idiot," I said with a giggle.

"I've been getting that a lot lately."

"But she also said you'd catch up eventually and you did."

I wrapped my arms around Brandon's neck and looked up at him with a smile on my face. "I love you."

"I love you too."

Brandon kissed me again, soft and slow this time, like we had all the time in the world to just be wrapped up in each other's arms.

Brandon's lips moved down to my neck. He kissed his way down murmuring "I love you," over and over.

Finally, he pulled back and looked me in the eye.

"Will you come home?" He asked and my eyes widened.

"You mean?"

"Move in with me. I feel like I've wasted so much time not being with you and I can't handle another second."

"You want me to move into the penthouse?" I asked, still in shock.

"Yes. Will you?"

I nodded and Brandon lifted me in his arms and twirled me around. "Good. Because I would have died if you said no."

I giggled and playfully smacked Brandon on the chest.

"What about the apartment?" I asked, looking up at the ceiling as if I could see through it to the apartment above. He spent so much money fixing it. Insurance paid for damage, but Brandon paid for a lot of the furniture. And I liked my apartment. I wasn't ready to give it up.

Brandon looked up at the ceiling too. "I say we keep it."

"Really?"

"You never know when we'll need a getaway," he said, waggling his eyebrows.

I blushed and smacked Brandon again.

"Hey," he said and I looked up at him. "Let's go home."