Introverted Affections (Cedric Diggory)

Start from the beginning

"Oh, I don't know," I said, giving them all an apologetic smile. "I'll head into the meeting and save us a table, okay?"

He frowned, just slightly before agreeing, "Yeah, that sounds good."

Waving a little halfheartedly to Cedric's dormmates, I gave him another smile and headed off to the carriage. Making it to the end of the train without being disturbed again, I slipped inside, finding it empty. Frowning, I glanced at my watch again, why was I always the one to turn up early to these meetings?

Slipping into a seat, I settled down and prepared to wait. Drumming my fingertips on the tabletop, I forced myself to stay awake. Once this meeting was over, I could go and sleep. Just as long as I wasn't one of the prefects chosen to patrol the train. And if I was one of those prefects, then I'd have an issue.

Distantly, I heard the door to the carriage open and shut. Now if only the rest of the prefects could turn up and we could get a move on. Sighing, I closed my eyes, preparing to rest my head for just a second when an arm slipped easily around my shoulder.

"Tired?" Cedric's voice, gentle and sweet, in my ear, was barely in time to stop me from elbowing him harshly in the ribs.

And then, realising it was him, I forced myself not to stiffen, to remind myself that there wasn't anyone else around. We'd discussed this before and I promised him I'd try. Letting out a breath, I forced myself to relax and leaned into his side.

"I'm always tired," I said eventually.

"You are," he agreed, sounding pleased. No doubt it was because I'd settled firmer into his side. His arm tightened around my shoulder slightly, drawing me even closer to his side and pressing a kiss to my shoulder. "I missed you."

"I missed you too," I reassured him, turning to look at him.

Smiling, Cedric reached out, grasping my chin between soft fingers and tilted my head up towards his. As he closed the distance between us, slowly gauging my reaction the entire time, I let myself briefly admire him and wonder how he was mine. How in Helga's name had I convinced the golden boy to find me attractive? And how had he been the one to approach me? Closing my eyes in silent consent, I waited for his kiss.

The sound of the carriage door opening shattered my peace. Eyes snapping open, I drew quickly away from Cedric, bracing my hands on his chest and pushing him away slightly. His eyes, wide and surprised, met mine before he was quick to shift away, settling more firmly in his seat. Resolutely facing forward and returning the greetings that were extended to me from my fellow prefects. As the carriage slowly filled up and the meeting started, I finally risked a glance at Cedric's face and instantly wished I hadn't. He looked so hurt. And I'd been the one to do that.

**********

My patrol partner was running late. The sixth-year that I was paired with to run this patrol was nowhere in sight. I'd been waiting at our agreed meet-up spot for almost 10 minutes now, but the prefect was nowhere to be seen. Growing a little impatient, I tapped my shoe against the stonework floor and wrapped my school robes tighter around me. I still didn't understand why the staff couldn't cast warming charms on the school, especially at night. Was it really necessary for the castle to get so cold? Especially in winter in the Scottish Highlands.

Hearing approaching footsteps, at last, I turned in the direction the sounds were coming from and waited. But, when I saw the person walking toward me, my eyebrows furrowed, even if it was a pleasant surprise.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, watching as my boyfriend approached, closing the distance between us.

"Isn't it obvious?" Cedric asked, pointing to the badge pinned to his robes as if it explained everything. "I'm here to run patrol with you."