xxiv. suzie, do you copy?

chapter twenty four
suzie, do you copy?

"CANT YOU, LIKE, stay at Hawkins?" Claire questioned as she buttered a slice of toast. The vivid rays of sunshine that adorned the morning sky broke through the windows and illuminated the dining room. She looked up at her mother ― all red hair and misty grey eyes. Isabella Harding had arrived at Hawkins the night before.

Her dad and mom glanced at each other gingerly. Isabella smiled softly and locked eyes with Claire, speaking, "I guess it's safe to say that we've been thinking about it. I mean, the reason I remained at Portland was for my job. Back then, I couldn't just let it go. Now, though, It's not really necessary. I could get a job here at Hawkins."

Finishing the last few bites of her breakfast, Claire tried to hide her happiness and relief, since she knew her parents' habit of making false promises all too well. Instead, Claire glanced at her parents expectantly, "So, mom . . . you're moving to Hawkins with us?"

"Yes, love, in a while." Her mother beamed. She and her dad shared a joyous, tender look.

"Holy shit, amazing!" Claire exclaimed, grinning. A wave of scolds and gestures of dissatisfaction passed around the table.

"Language, Claire!" Isabella scorned. "One more curse word and you won't be able to go outside today." The woman shot her husband a questioning look.

Andrew shrugged innocently, mumbling, "She's always been like this, Isa. You know her."

Once the conversation had ended and her dad had left for work, Claire bid her mom goodbye, hastily put on her shoes and departed the house.

"I'm going over to my friends'!"