xv. the junkyard

chapter fifteen
the junkyard

HUMMING TO PINK Floyd, Claire plugged in her headphones and sat on her bed, tracing patterns on the sheets. She replayed her morning in her head. She recalled waking up, doing the usual and walking to the table downstairs to see a a note placed on the table. It was written by her dad, who wrote that he left early and left breakfast for her. It was usual to Clare. Because god forbid if that man ever cared to spend a bit of time with his daughter. And now, Claire sat on her bed idly with nothing to do than think of the events of yesterday.

She was quite guilty for deliberately overhearing Max and Lucas's conversation. She knew she shouldn't have, but she did it anyway. But what Lucas said intrigued her. A Demogorgon in another dimension? Kids with supernatural powers locked in the Hawkins lab? It all seemed like bullshit; a made-up story. However, she couldn't help but constantly think about it. 

But then, the bell rang downstairs and reverberated throughout the house, making Claire snap out of her trance and flinch. She grunted when realizing it was just the bell, and rushed downstairs. She reached the front door and swung the door open.

"My dad is not home—" Claire started, but paused as her jaw dropped when she realized who was standing in the doorway. She gaped at the sight, and hissed, "Lucas? What are you doing here?"

The boy standing in the doorway looked equally as fatigued as Claire. He drew a sharp breath, and shifted uncomfortably.

"I know that you heard Max and I at the Arcade yesterday - and before you explode like the grenade you are, I wanna' say that it doesn't take a genius to see a figure's limbs through the peak of a door. I know you heard what I explained to Max. You probably don't believe it, Claire, but it's true and I have proof to show. Just hurry." Lucas rambled.