Ch. 57: A Shock To The System

Start from the beginning

Speak of the devil.

I look back at Darius, who picks up one of the discarded park bags.

"But what about the Scorpius Rex?"

Darius purses his lips. "We have to risk it. We might not get another chance."

So we start packing back up. I start to fill bags full of food with Brooklyn, while the others grab other supplies.

I spot Brooklyn toss a can of carob away in disgust, making me glare.

"Hey!"

I grab the can and shove it in my bag. Brooklyn watches in disbelief.

"Why do you like that stuff? It's disgusting!"

I groan. "It is not! It is healthy and very delicious, and Ben and I-"

As I say that, I see my brother bend down to examine something in the dirt. My lips stop saying what was coming and my attention diverts from the celebrity.

"Just...it's good, okay?"

I leave it at that and approach Ben.

"Hey, are you okay?"

I peak over his shoulder to see him touching a footprint in the Earth, no doubt formed by Bumpy. The same Bumpy who was out there, alone, with the Scorpius Rex on the loose.

"Bumpy...she-she's out there, with the Scorpius. She could be...we need to find her."

I frown.

"But Ben, what about-"

"Y-You can come back after we find them, just...please? Can you help me?"

I notice how he said you instead of we, but don't question it seeing as he's really distraught. I can't blame him, as I feel similarly fearful for our shared dino-child.

"Okay."

We drop everything and go.

{}{}{}{}

"Ben, I don't know if we can-"

He shushes me instantly, and I frown. As much as I want to find Bumpy and make sure she's okay, she's a tough girl. We may be strong, but I understand that we are definitely no match for the Scorpius, on our own especially.

Besides, we're about to go home, and the sooner we get to the boat, the sooner we get to see mom again.

And Carrie, of course.

I'm about to try to convince him again, when I suddenly hear someone scream.

"Who-" Ben starts, while I recognize the voice almost instantly.

"Darius!"

I take off running toward where I heard him, Ben following suit. The closer we get the louder the sounds of yelling and growling become, and the closer I get to throwing up at the thought of Darius being killed by the hybrid.

We find Darius standing on the edge of a cliff, and my heart races when I see it break.

Ben and I don't hesitate to leap forward and grab onto him before he can fall.

The scene is horrifically familiar; me clinging to someone below me as someone else stands next to me holding on as well.

"What the heck are you doing?" Ben whispers at him.

"I'm, uh...here to save your life." Darius chuckled awkwardly.

Oh, God.

{}{}{}{}