S3C18: Weightless Trophies

Season 3 Chapter 18

-Weightless Trophies-

Y/n POV

    In all my years of being alive, I would have never thought I would be sitting where I was. In the GH section at MAMA. I'm sat at 3YE's table as we look onto the stage, awaiting the announcements of the different winners. The only awards we are really waiting for were "best new artist", and "Best Producer". I wasn't keen on being awarded, but they said I had a really good chance. Mainly due to how fast their sales passed Blackpink's. Something no one expected to happen. I guess seeing my name attached to the group generated interest, and from there, fans did what fans do. I guess there were things that we did differently. Things like allowing reaction channels to react to the music video with no worries. The girls personally signed every copy that was preordered from the company directly. Mr. Park just had so many good ideas. Between his smarts and the girls' hard work, It's no surprise that the debut was a success.

    "And the winner for 'Best New Artist," The award presenter spoke, allowing suspense to build up in the room.

    The girls began shuffling in their seats and huddled together, shaking from the excitement. They were probably like me and had never expected to see themselves in the position they currently were in. They have said on many occasions that they didn't feel like they would ever make it because they weren't good enough. I disagree. I disagree to an extreme. Not sure what they are seeing when they look in the mirror, but when I look, I see some of the strongest girls I've ever met. They are already at a disadvantage being from a small company, so they have to work way harder than most other groups sitting here around us.

Chunhei POV

    "Come on!" I yelled out loud.

    I never had to worry about that witch of an aunt hearing anything cause of the sheer size of the house. My room was on the complete opposite end to hers. Better for me, I don't have to deal with her, I can just ignore that she exists. Which is a good thing, cause I'm not missing the chance to support my brother in this! His whole life, he never thought he would get to this, but here he is. A whole industry being forced to recognize how good he is.

    I look back briefly at the new poster of the 3YE girls that hung, where only just recently was a Blackpink Poster. Not that I don't have respect for Jennie and the others or that I don't like them. I still dearly love them, but I can't just ignore everything that happened.

    "And the winner of 'Best New Artist'," this is it! My attention turns right back to the screen. "3YE!"

    "YES! I need to text Yurim and tell her congratulations!"

    The excitement busted out of me like a volcano that was far past its time. I had to force myself to calm down, so I could hear their acceptance speech. The three girls were seen walking up to the stage from their seats followed by a shot of my brother smiling and clapping for his girls.

    The three stood giddy on the stage As Yuji took the mic from the MC and prepared to give her speech for winning.

    "Thank you, so much. You never know when something or someone will come into your life and lift you so high you forget what the ground feels like." Yuji began her speech to the crowd, the tears and excitement were contagious and made my own eyes wetter. "Just a few years ago the three of us lost our first group and close friends. They left the company and industry, and we can't blame them. While they may not be here with us now, on this stage, we dedicate this award to them. But not just to them. Sometime after that departure, we were left in a dark and in a down place. We lost all hope and even considered leaving ourselves. That's when we were introduced to someone that would be far more than just a producer. He became our best friend. Our brother. More than anyone, we have to thank Y/n. Our guardian angel. He lifted us up more than just in career, and now look at us..."

    Yuji's emotions, alongside the other two's, welled up. Fighting back the sobs.

    "Look at us, Y/n Oppa! We did it!" Yuji added, all three of them now basically sobbing. "YOU did it!"

    The tears were just flowing from my eyes. I couldn't hold them back any longer.

    Ever since my brother started working with the 3YE girls, I've also gotten close with them. They've become my sisters as much as his. I've seen them go from dismal to hopeful to successful. Seeing them as happy as they were this night broke the dam that held my emotion. I broke more when they went to their seats and stopped to hug Y/n.

    I did my best to pull myself together, but before I could, they announced the producer of the year.

    "And the producer of the year is," They paused for dramatic effect, as they always do. "Y/n! The mastermind not only behind Blackpink's overly successful Mini Album, but arguably the reason behind the newest group rivaling them."

    I screamed. Loudly. I screamed and jumped from my bed. More tears. A lot more tears. The girls winning was emotional, yes, but this hit me so deeply. No one saw Y/n sitting in his room making music every day after school, sometimes before as well. No one saw all that hard work, and no one saw him when he had to throw it all away to take care of me. I've always felt bad for him. He should never have had to put his life on hold to raise me. That's why I slipped his USB into Jennie's purse so long ago. I didn't know how soon she would find it, but I knew she would eventually. I knew he wouldn't be into giving it to her himself, but if it somehow found its way into her purse and she just so happened to find it. Well, it's why he's accepting an award. I couldn't be more proud of him. That is MY brother. Mine.

    "Growing up, this wasn't something that was ever meant for me." Y/n began talking on the screen. "Things happened, and I decided that I would raise my amazing younger sister instead of music. While I still played around with it in my free time, it was just a hobby. Being up here is actually against my late parent's wishes. They always told me stories of the industry, and I saw some myself. But I feel like it would have been disrespectful to the ones who have offered to help and get me some work. It just so happens that the very work I got launched me, uncontrollably, into my new career. After a lot of deliberation, I can only assume that my rascal of a sister had something to do with this. So, this award isn't mine. It belongs to my amazing girls in 3YE and my beautiful sister. I love you, Chunhei. And I love you, mom and dad. You're missed, never forgotten."

    I was bawling my eyes out. Even with what I know, this is still an award where an entire industry was forced to acknowledge him. He deserved more, but I'm willing to accept this small step from an industry that put our family through so much.

    I did it... I gave my brother his life back. I just wish I could share it with him. But she won't let me. I miss you, Oppa. None of this is your fault.

To be continued...