C⃨H⃨A⃨P⃨T⃨E⃨R⃨ N⃨I⃨N⃨E⃨

Start from the beginning

Laddie gaped at me, swinging his legs around the booth so he could face my way, "I was four! That doesn't count!"

"That police officer said it counted," my smirk grew at his flush before waving his accusations away, "I'm kidding, dude. Besides it was only like one balloon, the lady didn't even care—"

My teasing trailed off as the restaurant's door opened. Not quite quick enough to slide off the counter, I silently thanked god that the two people who stepped in weren't the regular breed of customer. Unfortunately, they also weren't people I was ever expecting to step foot into my store. Laddie, on the other hand, was elated.

"Dwayne!" He launched out of his chair and sprinted toward him, ignored Paul's wounded noise as he passed him by, "What are you doing here?"

When Laddie got close enough, Dwayne dropped his large hand on his head and gave his hair a solid ruffling. As Dwayne spoke, I tried not to focus on how his grin sent flickers of pleasure through my stomach, "Just stopping by," his dark eyes peered up at me, "You're working late."

It sounded like an accusation as much as a statement. I could only shrug, "Gotta pay the bills. My van won't fix itself."

"You could sell it," Dwayne straightened, his stare rooving over the restaurant in disinterest, "Someone would buy it."

I couldn't halt your scoff, "And then what?" I waved a hand around in emphasis, "Laddie and I just crash out in the streets?"

So far having gone ignored, Paul took the opening to interject himself into the conversation, "Don't be stupid, babe," he hopped onto the counter beside me, linking an arm around my waist as he pulled me tight, "You guys can crash with us."

"I'll pass—" Paul's grip dug in and he jerked me closer, practically atop his lap. I scowled, the heat of my reprimand weaker than expected, "You really gotta work on the personal space thing."

"Do I?" Paul blinked back innocently enough, but there was trouble in his gaze.

Again, I had the realization that I was balancing atop a very thin line. I kept pushing and pulling, but sooner or later I was bound to fall. I just wasn't certain if I still viewed falling as failure. The closer I got to these boys, the more submission almost began to feel like release.

"You do," I started, trying to wiggle off his lap with little success, "You're way too touchy, man."

A wild smirk spread over his face and he ducked his head toward mine, his blonde hair hiding his following actions with prefect precision. Mouth meeting my neck, he scraped his unusually sharp teeth down my jugular with a husky laugh, "You like it."

"... no," I grunted, trying to ignore the blossoming heat, "I don't."

A sharp nip of his teeth was his only reprimand, "Don't lie to yourself, babe. We can totally tell." His free hand crawled into my unruly hair and grabbed, forcing my head to tilt back as he met my stare, "We like you too."

It was sickening the way his admission made my heart skip a beat. I hadn't heard those words in a long time and the honesty in them frightened me, made me want to get up and run. I couldn't let myself do this again—

I doubted I'd make it out alive this time.

"Get off me," I finally snarled, pushing him away from me and trying to quell my budding shiver. I turned to Dwayne for intervention only to meet his knowing gaze. My following words were less brazen, "He's bullshitting me, right?"

Dwayne, looking up from the Justice League comic book Laddie was showing him, shrugged. Though there was a devious tint to his expression that had my nerves rattling, "Depends on what you think he's bullshitting about."