Chapter 2

Before catching her train back to St Mary Mead(Wednesday special cheap day return), Miss Marple,in a precise and businesslike fashion, collected certain data.

''Carrie Louise and I have corresponded after afashion, but it has largely been a matter of Christmascards or calendars. It's just the facts I should like, Ruthdear – and also some idea as to whom exactly I shallencounter in the household at Stonygates.''

''Well, you know about Carrie Louise's marriage toGulbrandsen. There were no children and Carrie Louisetook that very much to heart. Gulbrandsen was a widower, and had three grown-up sons. Eventually theyadopted a child. Pippa, they called her – a lovely littlecreature. She was just two years old when they got her.''

''Where did she come from? What was her background?''

''Really, now, Jane, I can't remember – if I everheard, that is. An Adoption Society, maybe? Or someunwanted child that Gulbrandsen had heard about.Why? Do you think it's important?''

''Well, one always likes to know the background, soto speak. But please go on.'' 

''The next thing that happened was that CarrieLouise found that she was going to have a babyafter all. I understand from doctors that that quiteoften happens.''

Miss Marple nodded.

''I believe so.'' 

''Anyway, it did happen, and in a funny kind ofway, Carrie Louise was almost disconcerted, if youcan understand what I mean. Earlier, of course, she'dhave been wild with joy. As it was, she'd given sucha devoted love to Pippa that she felt quite apologeticto Pippa for putting her nose out of joint, so to speak.And then Mildred, when she arrived, was really a veryunattractive child. Took after the Gulbrandsens – whowere solid and worthy – but definitely homely. CarrieLouise was always so anxious to make no differencebetween the adopted child and her own child that Ithink she rather tended to overindulge Pippa and passover Mildred. Sometimes I think that Mildred resentedit. However I didn't see them often. Pippa grew up avery beautiful girl and Mildred grew up a plain one. Eric Gulbrandsen died when Mildred was fifteen andPippa eighteen. At twenty Pippa married an Italian,the Marchese di San Severiano – oh, quite a genuineMarchese – not an adventurer, or anything like that.She was by way of being an heiress (naturally, or SanSeveriano wouldn't have married her – you know whatItalians are!). Gulbrandsen left an equal sum in trustfor both his own and his adopted daughter. Mildredmarried a Canon Strete – a nice man but given to coldsin the head. About ten or fifteen years older than shewas. Quite a happy marriage, I believe.

''He died a year ago and Mildred has come back toStonygates to live with her mother. But that's gettingon too fast, I've skipped a marriage or two. I'll go backto them. Pippa married her Italian. Carrie Louise wasquite pleased about the marriage. Guido had beautifulmanners and was very handsome, and he was a finesportsman. A year later Pippa had a daughter and diedin childbirth. It was a terrible tragedy and Guido SanSeveriano was very cut up. Carrie Louise went to andfro between Italy and England a good deal, and it wasin Rome that she met Johnnie Restarick and marriedhim. The Marchese married again and he was quitewilling for his little daughter to be brought up inEngland by her exceedingly wealthy grandmother. Sothey all settled down at Stonygates, Johnnie Restarickand Carrie Louise, and Johnnie's two boys, Alexis and Stephen (Johnnie's first wife was a Russian) and thebaby Gina. Mildred married her Canon soon afterwards. Then came all this business of Johnnie andthe Yugoslavian woman and the divorce. The boysstill came to Stonygates for their holidays and weredevoted to Carrie Louise, and then in 1938, I thinkit was, Carrie Louise married Lewis.''

Mrs Van Rydock paused for breath.

''You've not met Lewis?'' 

Miss Marple shook her head.

''No, I think I lastsaw Carrie Louise in 1928. She verysweetly took me to Covent Garden – to the Opera.''

''Oh yes. Well, Lewis was a very suitable person forher to marry. He was the head of a very celebrated firmof chartered accountants. I think he met her first oversome questions of the finances of the GulbrandsenTrust and the College. He was well off, just about herown age, and a man of absolutely upright life. But hewas a crank. He was absolutely rabid on the subject ofthe redemption of young criminals.''

Ruth Van Rydock sighed. 

''As I said just now, Jane, there are fashions inphilanthropy. In Gulbrandsen's time it was education.Before that it was soup kitchens –''

Miss Marple nodded. 

''Yes, indeed. Port wine jelly and calf's head brothtaken to the sick. My mother used to do it.''

''That's right. Feeding the body gave way to feedingthe mind. Everyone went mad on educating the lowerclasses. Well, that's passed. Soon, I expect, the fashionable thing to do will be not to educate your children,preserve their illiteracy carefully until they're eighteen.Anyway the Gulbrandsen Trust and Education Fundwas in some difficulties because the State was takingover its functions. Then Lewis came along with hispassionate enthusiasm about constructive training forjuvenile delinquents. His attention had been drawn tothe subject first in the course of his profession – auditingaccounts where ingenious young men had perpetratedfrauds. He was more and more convinced that juveniledelinquents were not subnormal – that they had excellentbrains and abilities and only needed right direction.''

''There is something in that,'' said Miss Marple. ''Butit is not entirely true. I remember –''

She broke off and glanced at her watch. 

''Oh dear – I mustn't miss the 6.30.'' 

Ruth Van Rydock said urgently: 

''And you will go to Stonygates?"

Gathering up her shopping bag and her umbrellaMiss Marple said:

"If Carrie Louise asks me –"

"She will ask you. You'll go? Promise, Jane?" Jane Marple promised.