Chapter 42: Let Us Make It

Start from the beginning

"Elena! It's me! Logan!" The man said

My body freeze, I recognize the voice

I look up at a familiar face, his brows furrow in worry as he looks down at me.

"Logan!" He wraps his arms around me tight, I hug his neck tightly.

"You're ok. You're safe now." He said close to my ear, he raises his hand to my head and run his hand through my hair soothingly.

He pushes his body away from my head and accesses me. His eyes roam my face as he smooths hairs out of my eyes.

"You're in terrible shape." He said

"No kidding" I laugh

He looks down at my thigh before looking around. 

"Where's my brother?" He asks

"He's back there. We need to get him." I said

Logan looks down at my injured leg once again.

" Can you move?" He asks

"Yes" 

"Ok, I need you to lead us there. Get on my back, I'm going to carry you."

I nod in response.

Logan turns around and waits for me to climb on his back. I did so. He wraps his arms underneath me tightly

"You're good?" He asks

Pain shot up my leg.

"Yes. Let's go." I said

Logan gets back on his feet, I feel less anxious enough to notice the number of people with us, all in combated gear.

"Straight that way." I point

"You heard the lady, let's go!" Logan instructs his men.

Five of his men went ahead, they move very quickly and stealthily as they instructed. While the other five trail behind, two flanking behind on each side while one stays directly behind us.

Logan moves quickly as if he doesn't have another human on his back.

In no time, we reach the spot where I had left Griffin.

I spot him " He's over there!"

He is stills at the same spot, leaning against the tree trunk with his eyes close. Relieve hit my chest, I tap on Logan's shoulder to let me down. Logan put me down.

For the first time in a long time, I feel joy and relief in the same breath. I cup my hand against Griffin's cheek. "Griffin, I got help."

He doesn't stir so I try again " Griffin, wake up. Help is here." I said again.

My pulse raises. Something's not right.

"Griffin." I tap his cheek

I feel a hand on my shoulder " Elena, move aside." Logan said, I turn to Logan. His voice sounds calm, but his eyes speak differently looking at his brother.

I move out of the way; Logan quickly moves in and signals one of his men to get close. The man steps in. He checks Griffin's vital and lifts his shirt underneath his jacket, revealing the deep wound, blood saturate all over his jacket and onto the ground beneath him.

The man looks at Logan with a grim look on his face. "We have to get him to the hospital now." He said

Longan quickly gets his brother on his back without another word.

Another man came up to me, and indicate me to ride on his back. I quickly oblige.

We move quickly in the wood.

"Stay with me, you hear?!"  I could hear Logan say under his breath to his brother.

We make out three military trucks waiting on the curb of the road. Wasting no time, we all got into the truck, I ride with Griffin, Logan, and a few other men. The minute we are all situated; the driver takes off.

Griffin layout on a stretcher in the truck and one of the men quickly start an IV on him.

I move to sit on the floor closer to Griffin. My hand slide into his, interlocking our fingers. His skin feels cold to the touch. His face looks peaceful as if he's in a deep sleep.

"Hey. I'm right here." I said softly, my voice trembling. I press my forehead against his cold fingers.

I felt a light touch on my shoulder. I quickly look back up. Griffin still has his eyes closed. I look at the big hand, it belongs to Logan.

"Come up here, we need to check on you too." He said softly

I nodded before turning back to Griffin and getting up. Logan pats the seat next to his, I sit down. The same man who just started Griffin's IV came to me, he squats down facing me, and look at my leg.

"We don't know for sure the kind of damage your leg sustained until we perform a full X-ray. Experience pains any elsewhere ?" He asks

"My ribs hurt," I reply

"May I look at it?" The man asks

I hesitate for a moment looking around. Two other men are seated opposite from us as if on cue they both look away in the opposite direction.

Logan looks at me. I look up at him, his eyes are already on my ribs area.

The man in front of me clears his throat, Logan looks at him then. They both look at each other for a few heartbeats before something registered in Logan's eyes. Looking slightly uncomfortable, he turns away.

The man turns back to me "May I?" He asks

I nod.

He slowly raises my shirt, I wince at the movement.

"Looks like a very nasty bruise. From visual it doesn't look like it's broken, slight crack might be a high possibility, X-ray will confirm our suspicions." He said, he places my shirt back down.

Logan turns back to me "You need to lay down too."

He turns to another stretcher laying in the corner.

"Please." He adds

I nod.

He helps me to it and places me gently on the stretcher.

A man comes to my side and starts an IV on me, my eyes flutter in exhaustion as Logan gently moves my hair away from my forehead.

He moves to sit between me and his brother as the truck move and my eyes are closed.

The truck came to a complete stop. The door is yanked open, medical staff fills the doorway. Griffin's stretcher is pushed out first, and everyone rushes out after. I try to get up and follow Griffin when a hand stops me.

"You won't make it anywhere on your own in that condition." The man said, another two medical staff came into the truck and take out my stretcher. I'm wheeled into the hospital, my eyes stay on Griffin.

Relief washes over me, and the adrenaline dies down. My body feels light as my stretcher is pushed into the hospital along with Griffin.