1987
Orion POV-
I sit at my desk waiting for the bell to ring a final time. Mr Bines drones on about how much we taught him yada yada. Only thing he taught me was how many times I could get detention in a month, the answer is 15. The bell rings and as I'm leaving, I call out to to my buddy Faith.
"How's it going graduate?"
"I'm good, how about you?" She replies, the bracelets on her write tapping against each other. Faith was my first friend when my parents finally decided we needed to settle down. So Nash and I were enrolled in some K-12 school in the middle of Texas, bc apparently it couldn't wait until we were in a less shitty state.

"So still have that stupid college plan?" I ask, smiling as we walk outside, the feeling of freedom and sunshine washing over me. "Yeah, still have that stupid travel plan?"
"It's not stupid, it's independence, no rules, no parents, no annoying brother." I decided to travel alone after school finished, mostly to let my parents have space. I recently came out to my family, and ~surprise~ the Texan Christian family didn't take it well. Mom cries when she looks at me, Nash won't talk to me, and Dad; well I wish he was more like Nash 'cause the looks of anger and disappointment almost hurt more.
"Ya'know Faith, you can't still join me," I check no one is close before I lean in and whisper, "we'll find you a girl, me a boy or 2, and party our youth away!" Her eyes widen a bit before she turns to hiss at me.
"Don't talk about that stuff here! Are you crazy? Besides I need a good education and we won't be young forever, so if anything you should come with me." I laugh, my grade were barely enough to graduate, let alone get in a decent college. I grew up traveling, watching my dad do odd jobs for money, and I plan on doing the same. "Well I sure as hell would rather make the most of my fading youth instead of sitting at some dinky college."

Faith speaks up, pulling into her backpack and handing me a crumpled piece of paper.
"I looked into that Santa Carla place you said you were gonna go first? I don't think it's a good idea, lotsa murder and disappearances"
I roll my eyes, "I'll be fine, I'm a big boy and I have a pocket knife."
"Oh so a murder doesn't even have to bring the weapon themselves, convenient!"
Faith doesn't get it, sure it's dangerous but that's what's so intriguing about it, I'm drawn like moth to flame. Ever since I heard about it, I'm having dreams: bright lights, a beach, motorcycles, and a guy I at first didn't recognize. After having the dream a couple times, I would scan over his appearance: brown hair, blue eyes, a nice jawline and the whole attractive guy package. It wasn't until the 6-7th time I noticed the shell necklace. As soon as I saw it, my mind clicked that it was Mooney Emerson, first guy I ever had a crush on, even though I didn't realize it until 2 years after.
"O? Hey, dude? Orion Cole look at me!"
I break from my thoughts, Faith looking at me, hand on her hip as the other snaps in my face.
"You okay dude? You totally zoned out."
"Yeah just thinking, sorry what did you say?" I smile, Mooney still hidden in my head.
She shakes her head and sighs, laughing at me a bit. " I asked if you were packed? And that I finished putting that shell on the bracelet, don't know why it was so urgent though, you're not leaving for a week."

She looks at me and I guess my face gave away the fact I lied. She looks angry for a second, then her brows untighten and the corners of her mouth droop.
"Today?" Her voice monotone, almost making me reconsider as she gives me the bracelet.

Almost.

I slide the bracelet on nodding. We walk back to her place and hangout a final time before I go. Afterward, I go back to the Cole house pack the last of the things I need in my bag, then after consideration, drop a note for my parents on what I was doing, and not to look for me. I don't think they would right now anyways but might as well. I nod at Nash as I leave, and as expected, he puts his head down and shakes it as I walk outside. I hop on to my motor cycle, not a fancy one but it'll definitely get me around and won't break down.

I take off and start my travel to Santa Carla, knowing it'll take awhile