A white and black gown slightly obscured his sight and he tore his gaze to the offender. His torquiese eyes challenged faded amber ones. A woman, well beyond her years with gray hair tucked into a neat bun and wearing servants clothing stood before him, holding out a grey blanket.

He raised an uninterested eyebrow, questioning the items presence in his close proximity and its —the woman's, purpose.

"For you, young one."

He couldn't even begin to list the offenses in her statement. He didn't request for it, didn't need it. It was presumptuous of her to assume. Had he done such a thing back home it would be taken as a challenge, as he belittled and insulted the other. It was a useless gesture of - what was it called again?—Ah yes, comfort.

Regardless, he could not tear out her throat for the mockery with his sword why has she approached him so easily if he was a discernable threat in the first place? Did she go crazy with age and didn't fear for her life?

Alas, it would earn him no sentiments or progress to kill one of his fathers people, no matter if she offended him.
If mothers stories were true, which they always were if she wasn't testing his deductive capabilities to discern truth and lies, then they were foolish in their actions as they acted without reasonable knowledge, instead being rather impulsive (which he could only use this woman's actions as a primary example for).
And his father was cold but attached to the kingdom and its people, including his temporary wards, so retribution for such a minor disposal would have to be expected.

Damian POV

His blood and a servant, being of similar value, held no logic to me. The latter were easily replaceable, just as they had been back home, but heirs were hard to procure, especially of honorable blood.
The values clearly clashed (which I'd attribute to culture differences) but before I could continue in my reasoning and understanding of my new living environment I reminded that the servant was still waiting for an answer.

How had she not taken my silence as a refusal or hint to leave?

"I do not need it." I stated, noting that the womans eyes seemed to edge to worry and... consideration??

I was unsure how to identify many of the facial expressions of man, having been told and done my best to avoid them unless I was with mother, so I deliberately chose an answer that would deflect her intention instead:
"My cloak is thick enough to provide me with apt warmth."

As predicted, the woman backed off after that, thankfully.

And then I heard it, my senses focusing on the sound.

-WWRROOOARR!!!

"It's the Guardian! Our Guardian has called forth the Dragon!!"

The hall erupted into cheers; reliefed, jubilant, joyful cheering.

I turned to look outside, as a few others are searching and following this 'Guardian' figure with extraordinary attention.

A large shadow roared, its massive jaw filled with glinting sharp blades that lit up from thunderstrikes for teeth, dark snake like skin for a hide, hands and feet similar to a chickens talons. It also had a large tail reminiscent of an alligator and pointy horns that protruded backwards from the sides of it's large head. Adding onto the reptilian appearance were large wings that beat in rhythm and kept it afloat. On its back was a broad-shouldered humane figure with a dark tattered cloak, reigns in their hands connected to the beasts front while they stood on it, riding the thing.

Unlike the awestruck faces of the shelter-seeking and feeble weaklings I could only scowl at it in open confusion and hidden offense.

That overly large reptile with wings was the size of a house and a dragon. That much was obvious, for them. However, unlike them I felt mocked at its presence, my hand fingerings the hilt of my sword.