Rebirth

"You did this to yourself, Hughes. You cannot blame us for this." Rafael hissed as the whip fell on the person sitting across him.

The other man, Valdis, chuckled at this as his mouth spurt out blood and new wounds started to form.  "I never blamed you, did I?"

Rafael looked at him with a frown as he continued to whip him. There were no other sounds coming from them except for the whip, even the person being whipped did not show any pain.

"Your highness, lady Calli has come." a knight informed with a knock.

"....Let her in." Rafael replied as he let his whip down and walked to the side of the room.

Soon, a lady with flowy silver hair wearing a laced dress came in. She had a gloomy expression on her face as she stomped towards Valdis.

"Why did you do it? What have I done to you, brother?!" She fumed and grabbed the collar of the man on the chair.

Valdis didn't bother paying attention to her and instead looked at the whip at Rafael's hand. 'Why did you stop?.' he thought.

"You won't even pay attention to me?! Answer me!" Calli grabbed his chin and forced him to look at her but Valdis' eyes simply looked away.

"....we were so close when we were younger. Brother, what did this one do..for you to scheme against her? Was I not your ally?" Her eyes became teary as her grip on the collar slightly loosened.

This time, Valdis finally looked at her and laughed. He then spit blood on her face. "Stop your act, two-faced bitch."

"You—!" Calli yelled and raised her hand to slap his cheek before gathering mana on her palm and creating fire. "I've been nothing but nice to you and this is what I get in return, you ungrateful wrench?!" She slowly let her palm fall on Valdis face, burning it.

"Hah, if that's how it is then I'll get rid of this face you're so proud of." She grinned.

"Your eyes always look so aloof and cold, I should pluck it out."

"Those tongue of yours that always criticized me should be cut off."

She said in a frantic tone while massaging the burnt face. "Even now, you're still so stubborn in keeping your tears." she laughed before turning her back on him.

"You've heard what I said, right Rafael? Torture this ungrateful little brother of mine." She said, walking towards Rafael, who gave him a handkerchief to wipe her hands on.

"Of course, anything for My lady." Rafael replied as he stroked the silver hair. "Now, please go rest. You shouldn't sully your eyes anymore than this." he smiled, rubbing her cheek.

She returned the gesture with a kiss before leaving.

Rafael turned his attention to Valdis, he walked slowly towards him and raised his whip as soon as he reached Valdis. "You reap what you sow."

Valdis looked at his familiar surroundings and stared.

He should be dead so was he in the afterlife? Does the afterlife recreate the best moments of your life so you don't feel as miserable?

Valdis doesn't deserve that though, he should be miserable for what he has done but oh well. They did say that the Lord was forgiving or whatever.

He shrugged off his shoulders and was about to stand up when the door barged open. "Valdis!" Tristan came in with an angry appearance.

Screw that recreating the best moments of ones life! This was clearly his worse!

"How could you do that to your older sister? She just wanted to be filial to you!" He marched towards Valdis and loomed over him.

Tristan was his father, or rather Calli's father. He wasn't related to them by blood, he was merely an 'adopted' child. Even before Valdis became a 'terrible' person he already hated this man, he was so obvious with his favoritism and biases that it made people want to pull their hair off.

Valdis remembered this scene. His sister, Calli, had served him food early in the morning but he refused it and even threw the food on her face. Tristan heard this and was extremely angered so Valdis tried to defend himself but of course the man didn't believe his words. Tristan merely thought he was trying to steal the limelight from his real daughter and that Valdis was just jealous of her. It was ridiculous.

Valdis stood up from his bed and stared at Tristan. "That bitch poisoned the food and you expect me to not get angry? If you think it's so filial of her, why don't you eat it?"

He wasn't a 9 year old, well...at least not in the mind.  He's not going to stand still when he's clearly being looked down on, not again.

This wasn't the afterlife, he was sure of it. It felt too real and he felt Tristan's spit on his face a while ago so the only explanation would be that he had been reborn. He was so tired of this shit in his last life yet he's back again, the Lord isn't as merciful as he sounds huh.

Tristan looked at his child, baffled. He never heard him curse in his life, he knew his child to be someone timid and would only bow his head to apologize when Tristan yells at him.

"Get out of my room, father." Valdis walked past him and opened the door to his bathroom. "Unless you want to watch me take a bath, since we both know of your deprived thoughts towards children." He huffed, leaving the door slightly open.

Tristan's face blushed in embarrassment and anger but couldn't say anything more. He stomped his feet angrily before leaving the room.

Valdis sighed in relief when he saw this, he knew his father liked children but not in a fatherly way. He liked children because they were naive and soft and fresh, he didn't know what he would do if the man actually tried to touch him. Gross. He deserved to die in his past life and still do now.

The boy walked towards the mirror next to his tub and climbed the little chair to help him up.

He looked at the person in front of him and alright, it really was a boy. The plump cheeks with a slight tint of pink, the pouty lips and the slightly rounded yet fierce eyes.

He has been reborn at the worst time of his life.

If you're going to give a person another chance to redeem themselves at least do it right!

"God, I hate this household." He rolled his eyes before going down the chair and turning on the faucet to his tub and letting it be filled with water.

He waited for it to be filled before turning the faucet off. He sighed, letting his tiny hands touch the cold water. "Drowning would be nice." He said as he slowly put his feet inside the tub.