Chapter 38 : Her Past

Start from the beginning

Something which I found very odd at that time, but didn't say anything… Looking back at it now, I definitely should've said something.

I also learned at that time that Kushida had a huge crush on one of our classmates Masao Ikitani. He was a very handsome boy with a charming personality, however I felt his gaze drawing over to me various times, to which I felt really creeped out.

During that time, a lot of boys confessed to me, to which I brutally turned them down and insulted them, causing many of those weaklings to tear up from my words.

Of course, many of the girls were not happy that I was breaking their crush's hearts but since I was friends with Kushida-san,  they didn't do anything.

Nii-san was not happy with my behaviour and he warned me that Kushida was not a good influence, but my antisocial self didn't find anyone worthy to be my friend other than her.

Then everything changed with one incident. Right after nii-san left the Middle School and we got promoted to the 3rd Year, Ikitani-kun proposed to me.

"Would you like to go out with me?"

I noticed Kushida-san widening her eyes before glaring at me all of a sudden…I knew that she had a crush on him, but being jealous of me this quickly? I never expected that.

"No I won't.  Get lost. You are disgusting."

All the students gasped as Ikitani looked at me heartbroken before giving me a resigned smile.

"That's ok….Thanks for your answer, Horikita-san. "

The next day it was revealed that he changed schools after that incident.

'Just because he was rejected, he did all of that. How weak can someone be?'

However, that was when most of the girls started bullying me….

'Unintentionally' pushing me when I was eating, pouring water over my head, punching me, slapping me, pulling my hair, thumbtacks under my chair, red spider lily on my desk, nothing was missed.

During that time, Kushida-san didn't even spare a glance at me or tried to help me. Not even any of the boys did anything, since all of them were insulted by me as well…

It was at that moment I realised what nii-san meant by his words…

'You are mistaking independence with solitude.'

I had no one to support me…. And I was the sole cause of it…….

So I fought all alone against all of them. I resisted as much as I can, but in a 20vs1 it's impossible, you know?

But I still didn't understand why they bullied me to this extent? Just because I rejected their crush, they did all that? No….It made no sense at all… There must be some other reason for it. I'm sure of that.

It was at that moment, I saw a very small smile crawling up on Kushida-san's face as she was witnessing me getting beat down.

'W-what? Why was she smiling?'

I wanted answers from her. Why was she not doing anything to stop them? Why was she smiling while watching me get bullied? Was she not my friend?

One day, I came across a very surprising and shocking  sight. It was after school was over. I was fixing my appearance in the school washroom while hiding my cuts and bruises with makeup, I noticed Kushida-san walking inside the classroom all alone.