A new friend (Chapter 2)

Camilla's POV:

From that day on, me and Eli (Elijah) became best friends, we did everything together and the bullies never dared to approach me again. I eventually built up the courage to tell mom about our friendship.

 She told me that it was okay as long as I stayed away from Eli's father, she didn't know why but didn't ask more questions. I didn't know much about his parents but I knew from my mom that they're divorced and that Elijah lives with his dad. He travels a lot and that's why they had to move here. And that he had anger issues.

 I'm also Eli's first friend and I'm glad. He is nice to me and we do a lot of fun things together, but sometimes he isn't the same at all. Not that I mind of course, but it still bugs me a bit.

 Like this time when I asked him if we could play together the day after and he seemed lost in his thoughts, I asked him a second time but he didn't respond until I tapped his shoulder. And another time when I asked him about his dad his face became pale. "You... are too young to understand C.G" C.G were my initials and he liked to call me like that, I liked my new nickname.

"And what are you, twenty?!?" I teased him. We started laughing but I didn't know what he meant by that. What could he probably be hiding? I don't know -yet- but real friends don't keep secrets from each other, I didn't think about it after that.

Mom called me for dinner, she isn't the same. Since the day I met Elijah she doesn't act the same around me anymore... It's like she is cautious? distant? I can't figure it out.

 I went to Lily's room to ask her but I found mom there, I spied on them behind the door. "You have to keep it a secret, Camilla can't know." said mom with a serious voice. "She has the right to know! If you want to play games with him then don't involve me and dad!" Lily shouted. Who is this him? And what shouldn't I know? this was too complicated.

I was lost deep in my thoughts when I heard the door open. I quickly hid behind a curtain and heard mom say to Lily, "If you tell her, she's going to be in danger. You didn't have to know either but Steven (their dad) told you" she sighed before leaving and Lily slammed the door shut.

I tried to connect the pieces of what I heard but nothing made sense. I wanted to ask Lily but she seemed way too furious. Asking mom wouldn't resolve anything, It left me with no other choice, Dad.

I was heading toward dad's desk, I think I interrupted him because he was talking to someone on the phone, but when he saw me, he told them to call later. I was my dad's favorite, he called me his "emerald". He also bought me a stack of dolls every time he returned from a business trip. Mom always told him to stop spoiling me but he didn't listen. So he would tell me anything, right?

"Faaaatheeerrr?" I said with my cutest voice, "What brings you here, my little emerald?" he said, not raising his eyes from a paper he was filling. "I'm your favorite daughter, right?" I spoke. "Yes, but don't tell your sister," he affirmed.

 I was pretty confident that he would fall for it "You wouldn't want your favorite child to be in danger" this time he looked confused, he put his paper in a drawer and told me to sit on the couch in front of him " W-what do you m-mean?" he stuttered.

 My plan was already working, I smirked "Oh father, you know exactly what I mean, mom told me everything" he sighed "Okay, we're sorry we didn't tell you but you are way too young to know. I am quite surprised that you aren't traumatized, how would your mother tell you? Oh, Elizabeth must've been drun-- I mean... This too sudden" he mumbled to himself. 

I tried to keep a straight face while listening I managed to assemble the pieces to this odd puzzle. So there's a man (him) that could get me in danger, they were supposed to tell me about him in the future... but how do I get more information? I need to tell Elijah about this.