Chapter Thirty-Nine: Adeline's 18th Birthday

Start from the beginning

"How wonderful. We'll have to go for a ride together sometime," Jane thrilled with a smile, it had been quite some time since she had ridden a horse but she would certainly get over that to spend some time with her niece. 

Soon Adeline would be spreading her wings and taking her first flight, she wasn't a little girl anymore but a grown woman that her mother would be proud of.

"We won't keep you, I am sure you have other guests to attend to," Sarah stated anxiously, she glanced around as she decided that it was better that they step away now before Jane made anymore promises that she could not keep. 

It was just like when William and Harry turned eighteen, Jane always seemed to think that she could say these things but their lives were so very different from their own. 

Adeline nodded her head allowing her aunts to disappear into the crowd, a sigh of relief leaving her knowing that her conversations with her mother's family always felt rather awkward. 

No matter how much she saw them, Adeline couldn't shake the feeling that when it came to her that there was something being left unsaid; something that was playing on their minds when they saw her. 

"I suppose I should wish you a happy birthday," a very familiar voice greeted, a smile forming on Adeline's face as she turned to look at Simon who looked rather dashing in his outfit. 

She hadn't expected to see him here, especially since she was just the younger sister of his best friend; she had not seen him since their last run in when he had brought a drunk Harry home. 

"I hope I am not intruding, Harry invited me," Simon explained with a dramatic roll of his eyes, he cast a glance to where he had left his friend who was sulking in one of the corners of the room. 

From what Simon had been able to understand when Harry had invited him, Chelsy wasn't speaking to him over his decision in wearing a Nazi uniform to a party that had been leaked to the press. 

The images were everywhere and Simon had to wonder why Harry had thought that dressing in such a uniform would be okay; he had heard that Prince Charles had been pretty upset with his younger son for his actions. 

"Of course not, I had thought that he'd bring Chelsy," Adeline replied with a shake of her head, she looked over to her brother who was hiding out in a corner away from their father. 

There had been an apology issued on his behalf by Clarence House with their father instructing him to spend time in the Jewish community to learn from his mistake. 

"As did I, but alas here I am with a gift for the birthday girl," Simon stated reaching into his pocket to get the small gift that he had picked up for her. 

It had been rather short notice especially since Harry hadn't told him until about three hours before the party that he was coming with him. 

"You really didn't have to," Adeline said shaking her head, she didn't expect him to get her anything when he didn't really know her and hadn't been invited to the party into the last minute knowing her brother. 

Taking the gift when he presented it to her, Adeline slowly started to unwrap the small box that he had handed to her which contained a small white jewellery box from De Beers Jewellers. 

Inside the jewellery box was a diamond bracelet in rose gold, it was slight weight and not to chunky; the perfect fit for everyday wear. 

"Simon, it's beautiful," Adeline whispered looking up from the bracelet and at him, she didn't have a lot of jewellery of her own. 

A lot of pieces in her collection where inherited items such as the cartier sapphire and diamond bracelet from the Queen and a set of aquamarine and diamond drop earrings from her mother; not things that she would considering wearing all the time. 

"Let me help you put it on," Simon offered carefully moving to take the bracelet out of the box and taking Adeline's right arm; never said a word as he unclasped the bracelet and put it on her wrist. 

Goosebumps appeared on her arm where his fingers brushed against her skin, Adeline looked up at him as he remained focused on what he was doing. 

"Thank you," Adeline said before pressing a kiss to Simon's cheek, allowing a blush to creep across his cheeks and he cleared his throat as he took a step back from Adeline. 

A nervous glance towards Harry followed and he knew that his friend would be rather displeased if he attempted to start anything with his sister; in fact, Harry seemed rather against Adeline dating in any way. 

His rants against her ex after the accident had been rather excessive and on more than one occasion Simon had to remind Harry that he couldn't hunt Nick down and kill him. 

"You look beautiful by the way," Simon told her before he excused himself, he hurried away leaving Adeline smiling at his retreating form at his compliment. 

She's heard that she looked lovely or all grown up, but he was the first to say that she looked beautiful and she was a little bit pleased that her outfit had gained such a response. 

###

Simon's gift to Adeline