𝑺𝒊𝒙

Count With Me

The week before Freya's first full moon went by a lot quicker than she wanted, she could already feel the irritation building inside of her. The slightest noise irritated her, so much that she couldn't sleep well the night before, Remus had kept a watchful eye on her all day.

She covered her ears during Potions class, the bubbling of the potion being brewed was louder than usual. Remus had forgotten to mention that her other senses might be heightened. Freya gagged a few times, almost wanting to throw up at the overwhelming smell from the potion.

As soon as Professor Slughorn let the class leave, Freya practically ran out of the classroom. Remus hurried after her today was not the best day to lose her temper. He saw Freya hurrying to the library he followed her inside. Madam Pince watched him as he walked around the library.

Freya was bouncing her leg up and down at a desk, her head in her hands she clenched her eyes shut. Remus carefully sat next to her, settling his books down. Freya could hear everything from books being placed on desks throughout the library to the noise of a quill, running across the parchment.

"Are you feeling alright?"

"Yes, never better," she said, "WHAT DO YOU THINK!" she immediately brought her hands up to her mouth,

"Out, right now, this is a library," Madam Pince ordered Freya and Remus to leave.

"Remus, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to yell at you I don't know what came over me-

"It's fine, I understand you want quiet right?" she nodded "come on, I'll show you something,"

Remus walked back to their dormitory, showing her upstairs to his dorm room, Freya didn't realise that they could go into each other's room. It was strictly forbidden at Ilvermorny, he looked around thankfully no one was in the room.

Remus kneeled on the floor, he pulled a box out from under his bed, putting it on his bed, he gestured for her to come and take a look. She didn't know what she was looking at, they looked like tiny earbuds, she didn't know how that would help she could practically hear people talking clear from down in the common room.

"Here, put one in," he said, handing one to her, she did as he said, and soft soothing music flowed through the earbud.

"Feel better?" he asked

"Yeah, I can actually hear my own thoughts, what are they?"

"My father, made them for me, so I could concentrate, and it helps to keep me calm," he explained

"I wouldn't feel right taking them from you,"

"You wouldn't be, I have one, you have one," he said, putting the other in his ear, she smiled at him,

"Thank you," he nodded, "is there anything I should know about tonight,"

"Bring spare clothes, and preferably wear something you don't mind ruining," Remus informed her,

It was 6:00 pm there were only a few hours before they need to head to the hospital wing, where Madam Pomfrey would take them to the whomping willow. Freya went back to her dorm room, to put a spare pair of clothing in her bag, for the morning.

Freya sat in the far corner of the common room, many of the students had gone to bed, she sat with her knees up to her chest. She waited for Remus to go to the hospital wing together, she stared outside the sky slowly getting darker.

Freya had spent all week studying more about werewolves. According to some resources the change to a wolf form, was excruciating pain, breaking every bone in their body. Some people believed that a werewolf could turn comfortably, into a wolf, if they were comfortable with the Lycanthropy.

Her chest felt tight as she thought about what was to come, she wanted to hide away somewhere and just get this night over with. Freya's anxieties worsened once she saw Remus come downstairs, with his bag over his shoulder.

"Freya, are you ready to go?" he asked, she shook her head, her breathing elevating Remus hurried over to her.

"Freya, we need to go," he said, taking her hand pulling her out of the common room,

"I can't do this, I can't, I-

"Freya, you need to come down,"

"I can't breathe," she said, holding her hand against her chest,

"Look at me," he said, Freya looked up at him "Count with me, one," 

"One," she said

"Two,"

"Two," she felt a little calmer

"Three,"

"Three," She felt her breathing become more stable

Remus walked with her to the hospital wing, where Madam Pomfrey was waiting to escort them to the whomping willow. She explained to Freya the reasoning for being inside the whomping willow, however, she felt the reason was harsher for Remus as he had experienced it many times before and could tell her better than Madam Pomfrey could.

Remus explained what little he could to her about the process, of turning into a werewolf. She could tell by his nervous stance that the full moon was nearing. Freya and Remus collapsed to the floor, the bones shifting and forming a more canine structure.

Pain coursing through their body, Freya opened her eyes hearing a low growl. She turned around to see a wolf, snarling its teeth at her, she snarled back taking a swipe at the wolf with her paw. He growled louder forcing her to submit and lay in the corner.

Both wolves remained distant throughout the night, just waiting out the night. He noticed something, while there was an unfamiliar werewolf with him, he didn't feel an urge to bite or attack himself. The werewolf in him felt comforted by another of his kind, even if they spent the night at opposite ends of the room.