Chapter Seventy: The Wedding of William and Catherine

Start from the beginning

The families were the first to reappear once the registry was signed, Adeline retaking her seat along with everyone else.

Finally the new Duke and Duchess of Cambridge appeared, with people gathering to their feet as the opening sounds of the national anthem appeared.

The entire abbey broke out into song, God Save the Queen echoing around the room as everyone sang along.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge walked down the aisle, pausing briefly to bow and curtsey to the Queen who had a smile upon on her face as she admired her grandson and her new granddaughter-in-law.

They were followed in procession by other members of the bridal party, and their families, being joined at the door by the two youngest bridesmaids.

The cheerful music played them out as they made the walk along the aisle, smiles set upon their faces as they made their way out of the abbey to the cheers of the crowds that were waiting outside.

On leaving Westminster Abbey, to the pealing of bells, they passed through a guard of honour of individually selected men and women from the various services.

Adeline and James walked together, quiet conversation filling their walk along the aisle; the wedding had gone off without a hitch and no one could deny that it was everything that they had hoped for.

The bridal couple entered the 1902 State Landau drawn by four white horses with postilions and attendant footmen, and guarded by a mounted escort of the Life Guard.

A similar open carriage carried the rest of the bridal party, escorted by the Blues and Royals while the Queen and other members of the Royal Family followed in coaches drawn by the Queen's Cleveland Bay horses, and in state cars.

The procession slowly making their way through the streets back towards Buckingham Palace, crowds cheering at the sight of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge as they passed through the streets on the way.

Upon arriving at the Palace, the royals made their way inside so that they could have the wedding pictures taken and allow the crowds time to approach the Palace gates.

The picture taking was a blare and before long the doors to the balcony were opened with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge leading their families out.

Catherine couldn't contain her awe at the sights before her, it was a breath-taking sight to behold for the first time; all these people had come to see her and William get married and celebrate them.

"Kiss! Kiss!" the crowds chanted as they waited for the fly-pass, the calls loud enough for the royals on the balcony to hear; William turning to Catherine with a smile before he asked her if they should.

Then he leaned in and pressed a kiss to her lips, the roar of the crowd at the sight of the love between the Duke and Duchess ringing out.

***

Buckingham Palace

"The press has quite a bit to say about you and Middleton," Simon teased softly as the couple took to the dance floor at the evening reception that was hosted by the Prince of Wales. 

It had included a private dinner, followed by dancing for the couple, their close friends and family after luncheon that the Queen had hosted that afternoon.