Chapter Seventy: The Wedding of William and Catherine

Start from the beginning

Simon was seated among the crowd, he nodded to Adeline as she walked passed and she grinned at him seeing that his tie matched the blue of the dress that she was wearing.

The ringing of the bells signalled the arrival of her father and Camilla, just as Adeline was directed to her seat; she'd be sat next to her step-mother and on the same aisle as her father and grandparents.

Adeline took her seat, picking up the programme that had been set on her chair and thumbed through it as she waited for the rest of her family arrived; she smiled at Carole and James who were seated across the aisle from her.

It wasn't long before her father and Camilla took their seats, the three of them engaging in small talk before the procession of the Queen, Prince Philip and the clergy took place.

Shortly after Catherine arrived with her party of maids of honour and junior attendants, they could hear the cheering of the crowds at the arrival of the bride from inside.

The choir beginning to sing 'I Was Glad', an anthem by Sir Hubert Parry was the first sign they had that Catherine had begun her procession down the aisle.

William and Harry took their places at the top of the aisle with William dressed in his Irish Guards mounted officer uniform; it was unlikely that anyone would forget what a special occasion today was.

Catherine looked beautiful in her dress, the Cartier Halo Tiara suited her beautifully and she looked every inch the Princess that she was about to become.

Catherine made the three and a half minute walk down the aisle on the arm of her father, her sister carrying the train of her dress and followed by the pageboys and flower girls that the couple had selected.

William kept his back to Catherine until she was at his side, there was no ignoring the smile on his face as the couple were reunited again; the two sharing a small smile as William mouthed how beautiful Catherine looked.

The service proceeded with the formal service and congregational singing of three well known hymns, fanfares, anthems, organ and orchestral music as was expected for a wedding of the heir to the throne.

In the marriage vows, the couple promised to "love, comfort, honour and keep" each other; this was sealed by the exchange of a single ring made of Welsh gold that had been crafted for Catherine since William chose not to receive at the ceremony.

The lesson was read by the bride's brother, James Middleton, was from the Epistle to the Romans and was an exhortation to live a righteous and peaceful life; his voice carrying over the crowd with ease despite how nervous he looked.

The sermon, preached by the Bishop of London, commenced with a quotation from Catherine of Siena whose feast day it was that day.

The bishop urged the couple to live selflessly, each remembering the needs of each other and seeking to transform each other by love rather than seeking to reform. He ended the sermon with a prayer composed by the couple themselves.

The service continued with prayers and exhortations by the dean and archbishop. A newly composed choral anthem was sung by the choir.

It was here that William and Catherine exited with Pippa, Harry and both sets of imminent families going to watch them sign the registers away from public view; beautiful music continuing on as they disappeared from sight.