Chapter Fifty-Seven: Concert for Diana

Start from the beginning

It was only when he was sure that Harry wasn't looking that he reached over to give Adeline's hand a reassuring squeeze; it was quick but he wanted her to know that he was here for her. 

The event was an important one, especially to her and Simon really hoped that everything went without a hitch for her sake; he knew how much work she'd put into getting this right. 

The eyes of the world were upon them and Simon had been thinking a lot about his talk with Charles; how he could better support Adeline in what she did. 

Adeline flashed him a smile before stepping away from Simon, her eyes catching the look that had appeared on William's face at seeing her standing with Harry's best friend and talking with him rather closely. 

The last thing she needed was him to go all big brother on her, she was pleased to see that he seemed to have patched things up with Catherine who was seated not far away from them in the crowd even if she hadn't confirmed that they were back together just yet after everything that had happened between them. 

***

It was nearly five hours later that the three royals returned the stage after a final performance from Sir Elton John; the three of them touched by the beautiful tribute to their mother, one that they were sure that she would have loved. 

"Wow. How can we possibly follow that. What a show. I hope you've all had an incredible evening, I know the three of us certainly have," Williams said with a smile, his feet were hurting from all the dancing that they'd been doing in their seats and he had no clue how Adeline was still wearing those heels. 

He didn't envy his sister for walking in them from their seats back to the stage, some of them steps were steep but she had handled them well and was still wearing the heels that she had started the event in. 

"Hopefully, thanks to all of you here tonight we will have raised enough money to make a difference to all the fantastic charities of our mother's," Adeline continued knowing that was the entire point of this evening, to continue the work that their mother had loved doing. 

If even a penny helped the charities that had been close to her heart then it had been worth it, it had been such a lovely event and Adeline loved seeing the clips of her mother doing what she did best and helping those in need. 

"We all hope and look forward to following the example of both our parents in working to help others," Harry said, there was a hint of something in his voice but it was easily dismissed at the emotion that he felt about being at such an event. 

It had been a long day and it was growing late, the sun having long since set on the event and the five hour concert had done all that it had set out to do to mark the birthday of a remarkable woman. 

"It just remains for Adeline, Harry and I to say a huge thank you to absolutely everyone involved in making tonight happen especially to the artists, the production teams and to Wembley," William thanked those who made it possible for them all to come together that day. 

It had taken a lot of hard work and team effort to pull this all together and it wouldn't have happened without the help of those backstage who had offered their support in putting all this together with them. 

"And of course, to all of you who have come here tonight and help us celebrate our mother's life on what would have been her forty-sixth birthday. For us, this has been the most perfect way of remembering her. And this is how she'd want to be remembered," Adeline said pushing forward, she smiled a little knowing that this really would how their mother would want to be remembered. 

She wouldn't want people to focus on the bad things or how she had died, she'd want to be remembered for the work that she'd done in her life and as the mother of her three children. 

It was never really going to be okay that she wasn't here but breaking down and crying about it wasn't going to bring her back. 

Her death would not mark their lives, they were there own person and they could move forward knowing that whatever they did in their lives that she would have been proud of the three of them. 

"Thank you and goodnight," William said snapping Adeline from her thoughts, she nodded her head before offering the crowd a wave as they began to exit the stage the way that they had come on to it. 

As they walked off stage, Nelson Mandela's message appeared on the big stage speaking such wonderful and beautiful words about their mother that had touched so many people's hearts. 

Tonight had been more about celebrating the love that the world had for their mother, they'd be able to have their moments going forward to celebrate the woman that she had been. 

Adeline closed her eyes as she wrapped her two brothers up in a hug before Harry could escape, no matter what came their way they would always have each other no matter what life threw at them. 

That was something that they could each of them could be proud of, there was nothing in this world that could tear them apart; they'd always have each other's backs. 

"She would have loved tonight," Adeline whispered stepping back so that she could see her brothers' faces as the crowds cheered and started to disperse after a long evening of celebrating the woman that had been Diana, Princess of Wales. 

The People's Princess. 

Adeline had loved looking at the pictures of her mother as a little girl, it was hard to believe that same little girl had gone on to mean so much to so many different people. 

No one would ever forget the impact that she'd had on the world and Adeline only hoped that she'd be able to do the same for people. 

###

If you'd like to watch the Concert for Diana the please do check it out on YouTube, someone has posted the concert in full for people to watch.