Chapter Fifty-Seven: Concert for Diana

Start from the beginning

"I'd just like to tell you why we're all here tonight. This evening is about all that our mother loved in life. Her music. Her dance. Her charities. And her family and friends," Adeline said knowing that she would have loved to be here tonight. 

It was hard to wrap her head around the fact that it had been nearly ten years since her mother's death, she'd spent nearly as much time as she had with her mother as she had done without her. 

"I'd also like to take this opportunity to hi to all the guys in A Squadron household cavalry that are serving out in Iraq at the moment. I wish I was there with you, I'm sorry I can't be but to you and everyone else in operation at the moment we'd all like to say stay safe," Harry jumped in with smile towards his sister, his words inciting a cheer from the crowds that had gathered in the stadium. 

Adeline barely resisted rolling her eyes, even she knew what his hint was about; Harry was desperate to be deployed and the delays to ensure his safety had started to further grate on his nerves at this time. 

"So for now, we'll see you later on. We just want you to have an awesome time and enjoy the line up here today. Speaking of which we have the greatest pleasure in introducing one of our mother's favourite bands. It's Duran, Duran," William introduced finishing up the first speech that the three siblings had planned for this evening. 

The three of them quickly made their way off stage as Duran, Duran started playing and they slipped backstage so that they could head to their seats with the rest of their family and friends to enjoy the hard work that they'd put into this concert. 

William wrapped an arm around Adeline and pulled her into a small hug while Harry walked on ahead of them, the two siblings sharing a small moment with Adeline hugged him back. 

They'd both talked about how nervous they'd been about speaking in public like that, the three of them had resorted to using flashcards to remember their words and Adeline had done her best to memorise her lines so she didn't have to constantly look down at them. 

Today was about celebrating the life of their mother, a woman that had meant a lot to more than just them and Adeline wanted nothing more than to make her mother proud; she knew that there would always be judgement for anything that was done in her mother's name. 

It was hard to believe that she had been gone for nearly ten years, her passing was still the one that everyone talked about as coming as the greatest shock of all and how her death had been devastating to them. 

***

"You did really well," Simon complimented quietly as he stopped next to Adeline, a small smile in her direction before he checked that Harry hadn't noticed that he had slipped away to speak with her. 

The two of them might have been together for a year now but they were still intent on keeping their romance quiet for as long as possible; they were not looking forward to breaking the news to Harry that the two of them were dating. 

Even after meeting Charles officially as Adeline's boyfriend, the two of them were determined to keep this as quiet as possible; the date already set for Adeline to meet Simon's mother later this month. 

"Thank you," Adeline said sipping on her drink, she had been so nervous about speaking in public especially in front of crowds like this one with so many people here that admired her mother. 

The last thing that she wanted to do was make a complete fool of herself, she'd worked hard to sound confident and Lucy had been a wonderful help in going over what she had to say so she didn't sound so robotic and wooden in her delivery. 

Simon peered over to where Harry was talking with Chelsy, although he couldn't quite recall if they were on again or off again; he was sure that his friend was rather distracted with everything that was going on right now.