Wenren È withdrew his hand, letting it rest on the mask. He still felt puzzled. Ever since he had picked up that first book, many questions had arisen in his mind, and when he answered one, another appeared. Maybe this was just fate. Maybe he would never be able to fully understand everything.

"Does the Venerable like this mask?" Yin Hanjiang asked, seeing how Wenren È had held onto it for all this time.

"Not really." Wenren È gave it back to Yin Hanjiang, watching as he replaced it in his storage pouch, his face still expressionless.

Something just wasn't right. Yet he couldn't put his finger on it.

Wenren È trusted that Yin Hanjiang wouldn't lie to him or conceal anything from him. They had already confided in each other and always acted openly toward each other. How come when Yin Hanjiang put on the mask, Wenren È was completely unable to read him?

"From now on, if it's just you and me, don't wear that mask," Wenren È said. "And don't wear it when it's not necessary, either."

"Understood," Yin Hanjiang answered, very lightly. He showed none of the resolution he had in the past.

Wenren È wanted to keep interrogating Yin Hanjiang about the mask, but Baili Qingmiao and Zhongli Qian had started holding hands, so Wenren È had to turn his attention over to the developments on their side.

They were holding hands because Zhongli Qian had stumbled and nearly fell, so Baili Qingmiao reached out and grabbed him. "Young Master Zhongli," she said, "you can't see anything, so let's help each other out right now."

Zhongli Qian shook his head. "I think it's odd. Even if I can't see, with my spiritual cognition, I should be able to sense everything around me. How come I didn't notice whatever I tripped on? Miss Baili, can you check what it was for me?"

Baili Qingmiao glanced back. "It's a femur. It's been rolling around by itself, trying to trip you up."

Zhongli Qian released Baili Qingmiao's hand. "Miss Baili, why don't you use your bonded weapon to tie our hands together? Men and women shouldn't touch casually. I don't wish to be improper with you."

He wasn't usually that stuffy, but he was nervous about the fact that his eyes had been cursed to only see Baili Qingmiao. He trusted that Baili Qingmiao was a member of a righteous sect and had good character, and wasn't afraid of her harming him. But a person like her could easily be manipulated, so better he play it safe.

Baili Qingmiao didn't mind and thought this idea was better. This way, if Zhongli Qian were to fall or be thrown by something, she could just loosen the silk and not be dragged along with him. Then, after getting better footing, she could pull him back using it.

Thus they swapped from holding hands to holding a silk tied between them. Baili Qingmiao looked like a guide for the blind.

Wenren È: ...

This wasn't what he had expected to happen. He had accomplished "picking the other person instantly out of a crowd" and "sharing their emotions", so how come they were still so stiff and polite with each other? He hadn't expected them to blindfold their eyes!

Was it really because he couldn't understand the last line—"love takes you unawares, and before you know it, you're deep in its clutches"? But what kind of a feeling was that referring to, exactly?

"What does 'love takes you unawares, and before you know it, you're deep in its clutches' mean?" Wenren È asked.

"When you realize it's happening, it's already too late to break free," Yin Hanjiang replied behind him. His voice shook slightly. He probably also thought this line was rather silly.