Sleeping Through the Literature Conference

Start from the beginning

They obviously weren't going to throw fists, but challenge them to recite poetry.

Wenren È and Yin Hanjiang could beat people in a fight perfectly fine, but they both frowned simultaneously when poetry was brought up. All the reciting sounded like the buzzing of flies beside their ears, and they thought that Shu Yanyan's twelve heavenly demons would be easier to deal with.

Fortunately, Shu Yanyan was more cultured than they and, strumming her pipa, sang a few poems, the music and verse matching perfectly. She shamed the scholars into silence, and they bowed and bid farewell, leaving the group alone.

Shu Yanyan returned to her seat and gave Wenren È a fawning smile, transmitting, "Venerable, I did well, right?"

Wenren È nodded slightly and raised one finger.

Shu Yanyan's eyes brightened. "My punishment can be reduced by ten years?" she said excitedly.

Wenren È shook his head.

"One— one year?" Shu Yanyan pressed her lips together.

"One month," Wenren È said.

"Only one month?" Shu Yanyan cried, feeling frantic. "Venerable, you said if I showed good results, my punishment would be decreased."

"Capturing Zhongli Qian can be considered results," Wenren È said. "You haven't done anything at all yet."

Shu Yanyan didn't dare argue anymore with the Venerable and shrank back, tears filling her eyes. She looked so pitiful that the scholars watching nearly got up and started berating Wenren È and Yin Hanjiang's lack of consideration for the fairer sex.

Fortunately, the Zhongli clan's arrival spared the gathering from being massacred by the Lord of Demons.

The current generation of the Zhongli family had three distinguished young masters. The highest ranking was Zhongli Qian, looking cultured and refined as he entered slowly, wearing white robes with a bamboo scroll in hand. He took the main seat, his bearing distinguished, each motion calm and at ease.

"In cloud-like dress, he raises a bow and takes aim at Sirius," Shu Yanyan said, her eyes fixed to Zhongli Qian from the moment he had entered.

She transmitted to Wenren È, "Venerable, do you know how much time I once spent studying poetry in order to foster the image of a cultured woman? It was just so I could hook up with young scholars like Zhongli Qian. Ah... he's amazing!"

Zhongli Qian was the most favored heir to the Zhongli clan. He had recently broken through to Void Boundary stage and naturally could sense Shu Yanyan's gaze on him. He gave her a slight nod, then moved his gaze away and didn't look back.

"Venerable!" Shu Yanyan transmitted in excitement. "The one we're supposed to lure in is him, right? He's the best! Back then, I used my seduction when he looked at me, but he wasn't affected at all. Have I actually found a true gentleman?"

"If you can get him, he's yours," Wenren È transmitted back.

If Zhongli Qian could be charmed by Shu Yanyan, then there was no point in setting him up with the female lead. Wenren È didn't want to create another Hè Wenzhao. He might as well wait for that ghost cultivator to grow up—it should only be eight more years or so.

No reason to not let Shu Yanyan test Zhongli Qian to see whether he really was a true gentleman.

The two young masters accompanying Zhongli Qian were Zhongli Heng and Zhongli Kuang. Zhongli Heng wore a plain green robe and looked very dignified as he followed Zhongli Qian. Zhongli Kuang wore brocade and had a willful and frivolous look in his eyes. When Shu Yanyan accidentally met his gaze, he raised his wine dish and made a toast to her in midair.