Was this a win? 💘

Start from the beginning

"Hey you two, weren't those eggs over 2 days old. How did you get this consistency with it?"

"Using a strainer we removed all that loose egg white." That girl answered with pride in her voice.

"It was you who suggested it, am I right?" I asked once again to find a nod from her and a quick glance at that boy. A smart move, I have to agree. Usually old eggs lose their egg white as it degrades into a liquid, making it impossible to make a perfect poach. Most homecooks often don't realise this and make a mediocre poach.

Upon straining out the liquid white, it leaves a consistent layer of egg white which gives firmer protection to the yolk, essential for a good egg poach.

Interesting...

"Hey Ayanokouji right? Tell me, how did you heat the water? What was your metrics for it?" I smirked and asked. This will be slightly intriguing.

"I simply waited for the water to be hot enough, for a few bubbles to appear at the bottom..."

He spoke in a bored voice as I cut him off

"Making sure that no bubbles appear at the top...right? Not bad."

Allowing water to overheat is a disaster in a perfect poach, if you want a mediocre one, go ahead with the norm...but with perfection, care about the temperature is essential. I took a bite....

And it tasted.....

Not bad at all....

It was almost perfect....

How is this possible with cooks with barely any experience at all???

"You girl, how much vinegar did you use? and what's your name again?" I questioned and got a quick response, "2 spoons of Apple cider vinegar. And It's Hayasaka" Another good choice.

This questioning and quick response show the perfect benchmark for a student. Why are only these two decent enough though.....

"All your answers so far have been mildly satisfactory, now you Ayanokouji, answer the next question. How did you get that poach shape?" His answer would mark a very important step in this process.

"I stirred the hot water until I made a water vortex and added the egg into it, the egg white curled around the egg yolk giving it the desired shape and waited for approximately 3 minutes."

I spoke up,"I usually enjoy it a bit firmer, so crank it up to a 3 minutes 30 seconds next time. Otherwise it's decent for a beginner. Let's say I am mildly impressed by you two. So I will ask once and only once, do you have a passion for cooking?"