Chapter Thirty-Five

"Guys shh!" Mari and Lorelei exclaimed to the giggling boys, desperately trying to keep quiet

"Guys shh!" Mari and Lorelei exclaimed to the giggling boys, desperately trying to keep quiet. They were failing. Miserably.

The squeak of the floorboards caught Lorelei's attention and she tried to make out who was walking in the dark room. Everyone was hiding in Louis's apartment, ready to burst out and yell surprise at him because it was his birthday. Except Niall and Liam kept laughing and trying to blow their cover.

Mari's phone chimed with a text from Zayn who was doing everything in his power to keep Louis away from his apartment so they could transform the place. "What did he say?" Lorelei asked, trying to peek over her best friend's shoulder.

"He said Louis wanted to stop for some coffee so they'll take longer to get here," Mari relayed, reading the message from her screen. Lorelei internally groaned at the thought of having to crouch in this spot any longer. Her legs were starting to cramp up.

"Ugh! Are you serious? This is like the fifth excuse. We've been hiding for thirty minutes!" Harry groaned, hitting his head on the back of the couch where he was hiding.

"Relax, I'm sure they'll be here soon," Lorelei assured him. She quickly shuffled over to his chair making sure to step lightly and pressed a quick kiss on his lips. Harry gave her a soft smile, the tips of his ears a rosy red as Lorelei laid her head on his shoulder.

"Guys stop making out. There are other people here that are very single," Niall complained, causing Lorelei to snort at his implication.

"Sounds like a you problem," She told him before kissing Harry again. Just for good measure.

"Shhh," Mari said, bringing a finger up to her lips as her eyes darted across each of their faces, giving them a stern glare. "Zayn said they're on their way up."

Finally. Lorelei thought to herself. She did not want to admit it but Harry was right, they had been hiding for way too long. Her legs were hurting even more and she knew just how hard it would be to stand up.

Soon, her ears caught the sound of the door creaking open and she sighed in relief, motioning for everyone to get ready. As soon as the light was switched on, the group jumped out of their hiding spots, yelling Happy Birthday! at the brunette.

Louis jumped and he looked around frantically before a wide grin spread on his face. He brought his hand up to his chest before speaking. "Aww, you guys care about me. But you also gave me a heart attack." He chuckled lightly. The tips of his ears were stained red but Lorelei decided not to comment on it even though it would be entertaining to call him out.

Liam rolled his eyes at his friend but that didn't stop the matching grins they were sporting. "Don't know where you got that idea from, mate. I'm just here for the free cake."

"You guys bought a cake?" Louis looked horrified. His eyes widened like saucers and his mouth was left agape. Lorelei thought he looked downright comical and have to resist the urge to burst into fits of giggles.