Chapter 22 ~ Kyle Bennet

Chapter 22 - Kyle Bennet

____________________

"My mother is dead," were the first words that came out of Kyle's mouth after the five seconds of utter, complete, absolute, horrific silence.

"Is that what your father told you?"

"Yes."

"I suppose he would. We didn't have the best ending, he and I."

Some more silence. Kyle managed to close his mouth which had fallen open in surprise. "How can you be my mother?" he asked.

"Still in denial, I see." The woman sighed. Resolutely, she took a few steps back and sat down on an ornate chair that could best be described as a throne. She's a princess, damn it! Of course she has a throne. "What has your father told you about your birth? About your mother?"

There was a pause in which Kyle hesitated. What choice did he have but to tell this woman the truth? Besides, it was helping him stall his death for as long as it was possible. "That... uh..." Where was he to start? He sighed, then just rambled on.

"That he went on a camping trip and met my mother and they fell in love and they..." Had sex? No, phrase it better. "They spent the night together. She told him a few weeks later that she was pregnant and that she was a warlock and that meant bad news. The kid probably wouldn't survive, anyway, but she'd have to kill it when it came out because warlocks and wizards couldn't even know about each other. That the races have hated each other for centuries and that wouldn't stop so the baby was an abomination." Kyle stopped awkwardly, still looking at her, swallowing hard.

"Go on," she said, but she didn't sound encouraging at all.

Still, he didn't have much of a choice. "So she gave birth to me but died in the process. My dad didn't kill me like he should have. He raised me instead, despite my two souls."

The woman raised an eyebrow yet again. "Souls? What do you know about those?"

"That when warlocks have children, it isn't just their gametes that fuse, it's also their souls. So when my mum... slept with my dad, both their souls clashed because they were different species and I was born with two souls instead of one mixture of both."

The woman sat up straighter, then relaxed and leaned back. She seemed to be studying him, dissecting his insides with a single gaze. He studied her in return. He couldn't possibly be her kid, could he? She was too beautiful, and he was too simple. She was royalty, and he was covered in blood and sweat and dirt. Most importantly, she was supposed to be dead. Also, Kyle's father had conveniently left out the fact that Kyle's mother was a freaking princess.

"Well, I suppose your father told most of the truth, except that I didn't die. He ran away with you because he didn't want to kill you. A soft-hearted fool, but a fool nonetheless." She sighed and rubbed her forehead. She sounded angry, and she seemed a little bit tired. "Now you see? I'll have to kill you. It'll just be seventeen years later."

Kyle's knees felt like they were going to give away. How was he still bleeding? He was sure that there was no blood pumping through him in that moment, so how? Was his anatomy really that messed up? He felt paler than he'd ever felt before, and a chill ran down his body. Something went very wrong very quickly, and all Kyle then saw was darkness.

____________________

The next thing he saw was a cleaner image of him in the mirror, only this time, he felt like he was on the wrong side of the mirror.

"You'll notice we aren't dead," Sylar said smugly, looking up from his nails, just hardly.

"Am I supposed to thank you?" Kyle asked, touching the surface of the mirror. Was he inside or outside? This was definitely a new feeling.