Chapter 17 ~ Lily Luna Potter

Chapter 17 -- Lily Luna Potter 

____________________

Lily only found out that Kyle was gone in the following couple of days, mostly because she didn't have a chance to have a proper conversation with Al during the happy New Year family reunion, and also because Kyle wasn't a person that you noticed the disappearance of. "Expulsion?" she'd asked. Al had nodded.

The family reunion, as it always was, was great fun. Her family, when extended, was... big. The fact that her mum had five older brothers (four married ones, and all with children) meant that New Year's was the day where dozens of family members got down to the Burrow to Lily's grandparents, all sat in a tiny living room, and just talked for nights. The reunion was pushed a bit this year, taking the Yule Ball into consideration, so when everyone had to return to school on January first, Lily felt like she hadn't had enough of laughing and warmth and butterbeer. Her dark blue jumper was soft, and had that new-wool smell that she loved, weaving in the scent of gingerbread.

"Fred would've loved this," her mum had said, patting Rose affectionately.

"Yeah, he would have." Uncle George had grinned. "Now we've two Hogwarts champions in the family, both of whom have wrecked havoc and played Quiditch and destroyed monsters, and they still got more OWLs than Fred and I ever managed." And then he'd laughed, but it was the kind of laugh that was both elated and heartbreaking.

____________________

So, the first three weeks of January were a whirlwind, regardless of Kyle's presence. This was, of course, because the third task was getting nearer and nearer, and Lily's vow to Rose that she'd help was not going to be let gone so easily.

Since there was no clue given for the second task, Rose knew she was flying blind. Also, Lily's friends, Max and Rose had decided to help with the practising of spells, so that made things especially confusing whenever either Max or Lily said, "Rose?"

They were interesting three weeks. Cousin Rose taught Lily and Friends spells that were seventh-year NEWT-level advanced, and the three Ravenclaws taught (or tried to) her how to think out of the box.

"It's going to help with whatever it is that they expect you to do."

"I hope it isn't dragons. The boggarts were bad enough."

"Relax, you did really well. Besides, you've got to more tasks to catch up."

"Yes, but I'm quite about done with magical creatures. I don't think I have the capacity to --"

"Oh hush up. You're a Weasley Gryffindor under Ravenclaw training. What could go wrong?"

In retrospect, however, Lily realised that no amount of preparation could have helped whatever had gone wrong.

____________________

The second task turned out to be an aerial deal. The catch was that while each of the champions had their broomsticks, the entire task was set up above the Black Lake, and the giant squid was visibly frolicking around in the water beneath.

Lily was on the stands when the rules were being explained, Albus and Scorpius to her right, Max and Rose to her left. Max would never admit it, but she'd had a crush on Scorpius less than a year ago, and that had led to some embarrassment, which was why -- to this day -- the trio had to think twice before letting Max be in Scorpius's proximity.

The task was being announced.

"The champions have been allotted a standardised broom each, and their task is quite simple: one of each of the champion's associates is in an invisible bubble, somewhere above the lake. There is no certain height, and no certain geographical location. Each bubble can only accessed by one champion, depending on which associate it is. The task is simple: rescue your associate.