𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄 : fear of abandonment

WORD COUNT : 2.2k

As it turns out, Owen and Barb got along perfectly as lab partners. The two of them had aced every experiment and assignment they were given since Owen had arrived in town. Mr. Kaminsky had even commented on their excellent teamwork, solidifying that it wasn't just them who thought they were fantastic. In fact, if there were such a thing as chemistry lab soulmates, those two would surely qualify. Owen had even thought about asking Barb to hang out outside of a lab setting – hell, outside of a school setting altogether. It was pretty rare for her to get along with anyone as well as she had with Barb, which intrigued the pink-haired girl immensely.

Owen's hands were stuffed deep within her jacket pockets as she stepped out of the high school. Her eyes searched for at least one of her brothers through all of the students rushing around the parking lot at the end of the day. Often, Law would be too busy talking to someone to realize that the bus came and went. As a result, she had to practically drag him onto the yellow hellhole with her just to make sure he made it home. However, her attention was caught by Barb headed over to her car through the groups of people. Owen hurried over to her friend, deftly dipping in between students to get to her.

"Hey, Barb," Owen breathed, already gasping for air by the time she reached her friend's car. She held up her index finger as a pause, her breath coming out in thick huffs. Barb couldn't help but laugh at how winded the short jog made the other girl. Once Owen finally caught her breath, she plastered a cheesy smile on her face and placed her hands on her hips proudly. "What are you doing tonight?"

Barb rolled her eyes animatedly, returning to unlocking her car. "Nothing. I still haven't told Nancy, but my parents said 'no way' about the party at Steve's tonight." Owen's head tilted in confusion that must have been evident on her features. "The Halloween party that Nancy ditched me for," she reminded her friend, chuckling softly. The realization of what day it was struck Owen at that point, having completely missed the fact that such a holiday snuck up on her like that. Clearly, all the hustle and bustle of moving and starting school so soon after was getting to her.

"Totally didn't mean to rub it in like that. I was genuinely just going to ask you to hang out," Owen swore, hands up in defense. Barb laughed openly at the mistake, tossing her bag into the back seat. "I mean, I'm down to do whatever it is you and Nancy would do on Halloween," she continued, shrugging as she leaned her back on the side of the car. "If it requires trick-or-treating, though, I will say that I don't have a costume on hand," she added, admittedly a little disappointed over missing out on any potential free candy.

"Wait, you're actually interested in doing our Halloween tradition?" A true, happy grin tugged at the edges of Barb's lips at the thought of being able to participate in the holiday after all.

"I mean, I guess so. Unless you guys do some absolutely insane shit every year. In which case, I may have to think twice about it," Owen chuckled. She already knew that Barb was hardly one to participate in anything that may be deemed as "insane". And truthfully, she was okay with that as long as it meant having a solid friend to spend time with.

"No, nothing insane. Just pigging out on some comfort food and watching scary movies at my house," the redheaded girl assured, already trying to figure out which movies Owen would want to watch out of her family's selection. "I can give you a ride, if you want. We can head over to Benny's and grab something to eat."

Owen's eyes flashed with excitement at the thought of being able to avoid the dreaded school bus. She glanced over her shoulder just in time to see the damn thing pulling into the parking lot, sure that her brothers were looking for her. She then glanced back at Barb, her lips pursed sadly. "I think I've got to ride the bus with my brothers, but thanks." Glancing at her father's old, likely incorrect watch that clung to her wrist, she added, "I can get to Benny's at around 5."