You failed her.

You should have done more.

It's your fault, Voldemort's voice was all he could hear some nights, rattling around inside his skull, gut-wrenching to hear, impossible to ignore.

You should have protected her.

She's going to die because of you, he could picture Voldemort's face while he said it. Could see the spiteful triumph glowing in his red eyes.

She's going to die because you couldn't protect her.

It's your fault.

It's all your fault.

Draco had hated Voldemort for a long time. It'd started after he'd drove his father to the brink of insanity and it'd only grown from that day on, festering like an open wound. The rage had magnified when he'd killed his parents, multiplied tenfold when he'd ordered Daphne's execution. He didn't think it was possible to hate him any more than he already did - and then he'd made Granger a Horcrux, and Draco was proven wrong. There weren't words in any language that could describe the hatred he felt towards his former master.

It's all your fault.

He wanted to burn Voldemort to the ground. He wanted to rib his organs out and flay his pale skin and kill him over and over again. What Daphne was doing to Crouch wouldn't even begin to satisfy the bloodlust he felt growing for Voldemort.

Your fault.

She's going to die because you couldn't protect her.

Your fault.

She's going to die because of you.

Your fault.

He didn't just want to kill Voldemort. He wanted to crush him from the inside out. He wanted to terrify him. He wanted to take away everything he cared about, he wanted to make him feel weak and helpless. He wanted the Dark Lord to beg for death. He wanted to make him suffer.

Your fault.

She's going to die -

Your fault.

- couldn't protect her.

Your fault.

She's going to die -

Your fault.

- because of you -

Granger stirred in his arms. She jolted like she'd been kicked and gasped quietly.

Malfoy held his breath and watched her closely.

Her eyes remained closed but her hands balled into fists against his chest. Her lashes fluttered but she didn't wake and after a few seconds, her breathing settled back into a gentle rhythm.

Call him pathetic, but the sound of her breathing while she slept in his arms, it'd become Draco's favourite thing to listen to. He'd become so attuned to it, felt like if he was stood in a dark room with a dozen others, he'd have been able to pick her out easily just by sound of her breathing. He'd been paying much more attention to it lately - probably because she was so convinced that she didn't have many more of them left.

The soft light from the crackling fire made her skin glow and gave a soft little flush to her cheeks. He ran the backs of his knuckles back and forth over her cheekbone as he watched her sleep.

It's all your fault.

She's going to die because you couldn't protect her.

All they'd done the past week was fight and scream at one another - it was nice to see her quiet for a change. The one time he ever saw her this peaceful was when she was sleeping.