1. Once Upon A Time

Once upon a time, there lived a king in a country far, far hidden in the mountains of the north. He was a benevolent and gracious ruler, beloved by many, for he led no wars, and he ensured his folk were well-fed and warm during the harsh winters.

However, the king was stricken by grief. His queen, the jewel of his soul, had died of an illness and left him with half a heart. While his people prospered under his care, he felt the winters grew colder and longer with each passing year. His grief made him ill and had him bedridden for most of his lifetime. Yet, he didn't give in to death's embrace luring him. For he wasn't alone.

Before her death, his queen had gifted him with a beautiful child. His son, the prince, whose laughter was as clear as a spring's merry splash and whose smile brought rays of light upon the king in the darkest hours, was his most precious person whom he adored so dearly. To give his son a bountiful life, the king prevailed.

Until the son's twelfth birthday, the king upheld a facade of fortitude and courage. However, later on, darkness clouded the skies. The neighbouring county mongered war against the kingdom of our tale and the fragile king could not abound. As his country fell into despair and his lands got plundered of their goods, he grasped the boy at his narrow shoulders and looked deep into his eyes.

"Fear not, my dearest son. I will send you to my friend in the east, many, many weeks of a journey away from here. You will be tired as you arrive, and confused, but you will be safe there. My friend is a rich merchant. He will provide you with everything you need. Go now."

As the boy reached for his father in fear, the guards brought him away. They led him through the hidden passages under the castle and, with the night and the wind; they were gone.

The prince was so fatigued by the long journey that he thankfully didn't hear the news of how his home fell into the hands of the attacking monarch. He fled from those searching for him and after weeks and weeks of travel; they made it to the village just outside the forest line. The name of the prince's new home was Villebête, a place both peaceful and delightfully isolated from the corruption of politics. While the prince was stunned by the modest homes around him and the humble clothes the townsfolk donned as they greeted each other gaily on the street, the guards found the merchant they had been searching for. A young man with a kind smile greeted them, and he understood their predicament. He asked the prince to join him inside and introduced him to his lavish home. The prince was satisfied, for he needed lots of rest after his voyage. While he slumbered in his bed, the guards explained to the merchant how the kingdom had fallen and he had to be the prince's new family. Though the merchant was younger and less experienced than the king, he accepted the dying wish of his old friend. From now on, he would treat the prince as his own flesh and blood.

In the morning at supper, the prince felt rested. He thanked the merchant for the food, for he knew not anyone would have taken him in and shared his home with a stranger.

The merchant asked his name.

"Wooyoung," the prince replied. "My father gave me this name, hoping I would have lots of friends and be beloved by many."

The merchant could already tell that this sweet child would become just that. He smiled at the boy.

"From now on, you are no prince anymore, Wooyoung. We must pretend you are no more but a regular merchant's child to protect you from the evil men. Can you do that?"

After a moment of pondering, Wooyoung nodded.

"Then I shall be just Wooyoung. I shall live as if I were your own and as if I had been born to this place."

Satisfied, the merchant nodded at him. He knew transitioning from a royal life to a more humble one must be hard on the boy, but he lauded the wide understanding of the prince.