'They just don't get it,' Camilo thought.

He stood up facing away from his sister and cousin. His hands were balled into fists. The feelings of sadness and frustration were piercing right through him. He couldn't keep hiding it any longer.

Camilo's Interlude by: Laureli Amadeus

Camilo: I don't know who I am anymore

Ever since the light left my door

I've been feelin' like a soldier at war

And I fight with the cape and the mask you adore

Townspeople: Ooh, go now, child

You'll figure it out

Camilo: But how am I gonna be me if you want someone else?

Dolores: Oooh, hush now brother

That's not what we think

You just need a bit of time

to get back on your feet

Camilo: Speaking of my feet

Dolores: What do you mean?

Camilo: I'm too short, too weak

Dolores and Mirabel: That's not true!

Camilo: Well, it's just how it feels!

Dolores: There's a lot that's not perfect about you and I

Dolores and Mirabel: But there's no need to play a stranger in your skin, despite your...

Dolores: Dumb jokes

Camilo: Dumb jokes!?

Mirabel: Your appetite

Camilo: Alright

Camilo Dolores and Mirabel: I (You) get it from our uncle

He's a mischievous type

Dolores: I'm just saying this 'cause there's more to you than you think

Camilo: Sometimes I look in the mirror and I don't know who I see

Mirabel: Well, I see a nice boy

who makes people smile

Dolores: A nice boy who takes care of our mama

Dolores and Mirabel: A nice boy who can't accept compliments

Camilo: I'm just saying! It's different!

Dolores: Is it?

Mirabel: Well, I see a nice boy

Camilo: A nice boy Mirabel: who makes people smile

Camilo: who can't do anything

Dolores: A nice boy who takes care of our mama  Camilo: useful for the family

Dolores and Mirabel: A nice boy

Camilo: I wish I had a gift like yours

Dolores and Mirabel: No, you don't

Camilo: No, I don't

The three of them laughed. Camilo sat down and kicked back in his chair, feeling comforted and more relaxed.

"But seriously, Camilo," Mirabel said. "There's nothing wrong with who you are or what you even look like. We all love you and we're here for you anytime you need help. And remember, a Gift, or lack thereof, does not define us. And even if you feel lost now, it's never too late to start searching for answers within yourself."

Camilo looked down at the floor.

"I feel like it's not that simple," he said, sadly.

"Sure, it is!" said Dolores. "Maybe you should start with something that makes you happy. For example, there's nothing I like more than getting comfy in my room with a good book to read. It's a nice, quiet activity."

"I like to sew and do crafts!" Mirabel said. "What about you, Camilo? Setting your Gift aside, what makes YOU happy?"

Camilo tried to think. But all that came to mind was the theatrical side to him, which involved acting, which involved portraying a character, which in his case meant shapeshifting. He needed to find something he felt happy doing as himself. But what?

"I don't know," he said.

"Hmm," Mirabel said. "Well then, let's ask Casita." She stood up and addressed the ceiling. "You got any ideas?"

The kitchen windows opened and closed. There was a noise coming from up the stairs. Casita was making a wave on the tiled floor that made its way out of the kitchen. When the wave came back, it was carrying an acoustic guitar on a wooden stand that stopped in front of Camilo.

All three of them stared at it.

Then Mirabel said, "Of course! Casita, you are one, smart house. Camilo, I remember you used to love playing that little guitar we had in the nursery!"

"I remember too!" Dolores said. "You were good at it! A little music prodigy!"

Camilo picked up the guitar from the stand and held it in his lap.

He smiled.

"There's no better outlet for emotional pain than some good music," Mirabel told him.

Camilo placed his fingers on the frets to make an A chord and he strummed the strings. His smile got wider. He leaped up to stand on his chair and started strumming the strings continuously in the same chord.

"Whoo-hoo! Go, Camilo!" Mirabel said, waving a fist in the air. Dolores had her hands near her ears ready to cover them, but she was smiling all the same. Camilo then said, "Um... I'm just gonna go to my room." He carried the guitar and was just about to leave the kitchen, but then he turned around and said, "Thanks, you guys. You too, Casita." And then he was gone.

Mirabel and Dolores grinned and gave each other a thumbs-up.