CHAPTER EIGHT

PILOT;
part eight

AFTER LOADING UP THE H.M.S Pogue, the recently reunited friends took off towards the marsh. The air was warm whilst the sun set behind them, the teens' laughter filling the atmosphere as their small boat glided along the water's surface. It was as if nothing could bring them down.

"So, what happened after I left?" Renna asked, looking between her friends for answers. John B, who was driving the boat, chose to cast his eyes on the reeds surrounding them instead of looking into what he could only guess was Renna's begging eyes. The four other pogues shared alarmed glances before JJ cleared his throat, adjusting the cap on his head.

"Okay, next question. What do y'all want for Christmas?" The blond grinned, ignoring the exasperated stare from the girl across from him.

John B clicked his fingers before pointing them at his friend with a gasp of excitement. "A dog!"

"Cool, because I'm not getting you anything," JJ said with a smirk as he leant back against the side of the boat, Kiara rolling her eyes from beside him whilst Pope let out a scoff. John B pouted his bottom lip sadly.

"Guys, what happened?" She questioned sternly with furrowed brows.

"I don't know if you really want to know," Pope admitted with a wince.

"Why would I ask you if I didn't want to know?" She dead-panned with annoyance.

"JJ held a gun to Topper's head," Kiara sighed, shutting her eyes so she didn't have to see Renna's incredulous glance.

"I'm sorry? JJ, you brought out the gun?" She moved her glare to the nervous boy as he pressed his lips tightly together, squinting his eyes and whistling as he pulled the red cap even further down his forehead. He tried to act as if he hadn't heard a word she'd said. "You're actually an idiot," she muttered with annoyance as John B stifled a laugh from behind the wheel.

For the rest of the ride, they sat and bathed in one another's company as Renna pushed the newfound information behind her, chatting amongst each other before they arrived at the sunken, white boat.

"This is empty. You guys took empty tanks?" Kiara exasperated as she glanced between John B - who was sitting beside her - and Renna  - who was leaning over the edge of the boat as her fingers brushed along the cold water. "Okay, this one's a quarter full, and this one has even less. It's enough for two of us."

"Love it when a plan comes together," Pope mumbled beneath his breath.

"Does anybody know how to dive?" Kiara asked worriedly.

"I do. I'll go," Renna volunteered as she stuck her hand into the air, smiling over at the curly-haired girl. However, from beside her, Atticus shook his head as he reached up and pulled her hand down.