CHAPTER SEVEN

PILOT;
part seven

AS SOON AS BLAKE PULLED into the drive, Renna was leaping out of the car. She flung the door open before the vehicle had stopped, trying to race back in the direction of her friends, until she heard the other door slam.

"Renna!" Blake shouted as he rounded the car, grabbing onto her bicep as she tried to move past him.

"Let go of me, Blake." She stopped struggling, staring daggers into his eyes as she mumbled her words with spite. He was about to retaliate, clenching his jaw tight as he held back his hateful slurs, before their mother ran through the door. She was wearing a velvet, red dress that hugged her curves, a feather boa draped across her shoulders as her glove-clad hands wrapped themselves around the ends.

"Oh, my lovelies, I was so worried! Where on Earth have you been?" She asked as she threw a distressed hand to her mouth.

"Nowhere, mum," Renna mumbled as she ripped her arm out of her brother's grasp, crossing her arms over one another as she protectively held the sides of her chest.

"Do come inside, it's awfully cold out here," the woman muttered with a shake, motioning for her two children to follow her inside as she trotted back through the door. After Renna had heard the last of their mother's clicking heels waltzing away, she turned to try and move past her brother again, but he pushed her backwards. She staggered back down the driveway before her back hit one of the marble pillars at the front entrance, her hands catching the sides of it to hold her balance.

He pulled her inside and shut the door behind them, twisting the lock as he sent a look in her direction. "You're not leaving," he mouthed as their mother twirled in her spot, staring between the two siblings cluelessly.

"Would you like some water, darling? You look a bit-" she waved a hand in front of her face with an exaggerated frown "- red."

"No thanks." She rolled her eyes - at her brother, not Ivelle - before practically stomping towards her room, leaving Blake and her mother alone on the ground floor.

As she walked past the study, her ears roped onto the sound of laughter from behind the almost-closed door. She slowed her paced steps and peered through the small gap in the illuminated doorway, catching sight of her father and Ward Cameron sitting across from each other at the mahogany desk with stacks upon stacks of paper beside them. They clinked their wine glasses together before throwing their heads back, letting the dark liquid seep down their throats with ease. Renna sighed before moving away, her mind a whirlwind of stress and worry surrounding her friends she'd deserted at the boneyard in the midst of a possibly fateful fight.

',~☼︎~,'