Chapter 30

Christmas was joyful this time around.

Even just a year ago, the holidays had been a tad stressful. For the first time in quite awhile, Graciela felt happy to wake up on Christmas morning, already smelling a wonderful breakfast that Stefan made while she was sleeping.

"You broke into the loft," she noticed as she went over to kiss his cheek.

"Technically," he said, "Elijah gave me a spare key. But he did say to give it back and I simply didn't."

"I'm offended, I didn't get the spare key to your apartment."

"I don't ever lock my door, you can just walk in."

"What kind of person doesn't lock their door?"

"A person who has nothing valuable to be stolen. And trusts no one will go in there."

"You're too comfortable with your neighbors."

"They're a bunch of old people, they can hardly walk."

"You're older than all of them."

"They don't know that." He wiggled his eyebrows. "Merry Christmas. Cinnamon rolls and sugar cookies for breakfast. I made them from scratch."

Graciela smiled. "Thank you. So, are you going to sign up for more of those auto mechanics classes you audited these past weeks? Deadline is tomorrow, just so you know."

"I think I might. I mean, if I'll be here to March, I might as well enroll as a student just for fun. I'll finish the application an hour before it's due. Are you going to Klaus's for dinner?"

"Yes, unless you want to do something here. Elijah just said to stay home and he'll come get us later after he's done bringing Rebekah home."

"So, we have the place to ourselves until then?"

"Yep. Should be fun. I need to wrap everyone's presents... heh... haven't quite done that yet."

"That's why I just put everything in bags," he said with a shrug. "My gifts are crappy this year. Everyone and their mother is getting gift cards and a note because my budget was spent mostly on Caroline, getting all these things off the baby registry because her mom said no one else is rich enough to meet her expectations."

"But they're literally vampires, they can compel someone to give them every item on the registry!"

"Caroline would never forgive herself if she stole anything."

"Too bad, I got the babies those eye masks so they can be thieves from a young age."

He narrowed his eyes. "Actually, I don't know what you got her. I just realized that."

She shrugged. "Clothes. I got everyone clothes except for Hope and Cami. Klaus is getting a new Henley. Elijah's getting three new ties because I feel like he wears the same ones all the time. Oh, and a new pair of shoes. Rebekah's getting two dresses. Hayley is getting three pairs of jeans because she mentioned she ripped the other ones she had. Freya is getting fuzzy socks and a turtleneck. Marcel is getting a new jacket. Davina, I don't speak to often, so I just got her some hoodies. And Cami gets a new game of Trivial Pursuit plus bourbon."

"What's Hope's gift?"

"Hope got her a tricycle so I got her a motorcycle."

"Bullshit."

She grinned. "Well, it's a little one for her toys. Toy motorcycle. And a few new stuffed animals."

"You didn't mention my present."