CH 18.2 Dr. Pushy Dragon

Start from the beginning

"That's Alex's code talk," Drake told Razz. "She uses it rarely, but she is very angry when she uses it. Her voice turns all syrupy but her words sharpen. It's like she's two people in one."

"Indeed, our Guardian is very complex," Razz said. "I shall file that information away."

Cale gently but firmly pulled on the edges of the wound, examining it. Alex sucked in her breath through her teeth at the pain. Razz handed Cale a wet cloth and he dabbed at the wound, cleaning away the blood. Rile took Alex's hand and she squeezed it.

"No bad bleeders," he said. "Needs a few stitches. Can you numb it, Alex?"

She shook her head. "I drained myself pretty thoroughly. I didn't know help was on the way. Go ahead. I'll bite a bullet or something."

"Two Tailbangers first," Razz said. "I will order them. You can tell me what happened while you drink."

As soon as Razz sent the order with a small gecko, Gabe said, "Alex, why did you tell Drake about my children?"

"She did not." Razz's chest puffed out, his hands clenched, and his eyes hardened, clearly ready for a fight. "I did."

"Alex also said I couldn't use it against you. So I didn't it. I used it to help you," Drake said.

"Oh, thank you." Gabe turned on him. "Thanks for leading Alex into an ambush as well. What great Guardian material you are." His voice dripped with sarcasm and anger. His eyes were narrowed into slits and his mouth was pulled into a tight line. He looked like he wanted to strangle Drake. The two glared at each other with the energy of a panther and lion ready to strike.

"Purse, Gabe, purse," Alex said in a low, threatening tone and her eyes blazed dark with fury. "If you were such a fabulous Guardian, the Portal Guardian would have brought you along."

"She did. To save your life," Gabe said.

Alex took a deep breath and nodded. "Thank you," Alex said without sarcasm so that Gabe blinked at her in surprise. "We're a team after all. I don't know why the Portal Guardian excluded you from the beginning of this mission and took Drake, but she did. She also then brought y'all here now. Let's not argue. We're in this together, no matter what. We'll get through the mission and come out on the other side together. I know we can do it."

"I would appreciate knowing what happened." Razz looked at Alex with an expectant look, his hands clasped tightly in front of him. "Our intelligence told us of a small advance scout team of three warriors. Alex and Drake set out to recon the area and engage only if they felt they could prevail." He looked at Alex with an expectant look.

Alex leaned against Rile's shoulder and he kissed her forehead.

"I did an aerial recon," she began. "The three Anolis females were in the open to lure me out and the nine were hiding to ambush me. I swear, I didn't see any others for miles. I set down Drake to take out two while I challenged the core female, just like we've done before. Then while I dueled with her, he picked off the others. We've done it before with larger numbers and it's worked. Where those fire truck cells were hiding is beyond me. More than two dozen had to escape my sweeps, both my eyes and Drake's. Utterly frustrating."

There was a knock at the door and Razz opened it. Two geckos entered with trays of drinks in tall, clear glasses. The glasses clear with a dark liquid in the bottom. The edges are wet with condensation, the top edge is adorned with a bright green olive with a black pit in the middle.

"Tailbangers all around, this time with olives," Razz said as he presented one to Alex. "I see you have other wounds."

"Superficial," Alex said.

"Let me see." Cale tapped her thigh with his claw.

Alex took a long draft off her drink before saying, "My sword arm and left thigh. Nothing that a little gauze won't help."

"Let me see."

"Fine, Dr. Pushy Dragon." Alex polished off her drink before setting it down. She tried to roll up her sleeve but it was stuck to her arm with blood.

Cale used his claws to slice through both the sleeve and the pants leg that were bloodied. The fabric of her pants and shirt fell away to reveal two ragged holes. The skin beneath was raw and red. Alex's arm was cut from forearm to elbow and her thigh was peeled open to the pink meat. The cut was shallow, however, and no arteries were cut.

Razz pressed a second drink into Alex's hand before passing around the other drinks. She drank as Cale cleaned the wounds. The alcohol burned as it slid down her throat and numbed her senses.

"I'll stitch up your arm and thigh if you're ready," Cale said while Trac and Kress laid out the supplies next to him.

Alex could see the needle and thread and knew it would hurt. But she was ready. She gritted her teeth and nodded, so Cale went to work. He was careful and gentle, but the needle still made Alex wince. Alex hissed in pain a few times but otherwise remained stoic.

Rile held her hand the whole time, offering what little comfort he could. When Cale was done, he wrapped the wounds in clean bandages. She was a little unsteady but otherwise okay. Rile breathed a sigh of relief and Alex sagged against Rile.

Alex held her drink up and motioned to the crowd in her bedroom. "How about a not-so-victory bath?"

"Bath? I don't want these wounds getting wet," Cale said.

Alex smiled widely. "Boys, what do we say to that?"

"Every party needs a pooper, that's why we invited you. Party pooper, party pooper," Trac, Kress, Razz, and Lok sang.

Cale crossed his arms on his chest, hunched his shoulders, and looked distinctly grumpy while Drake doubled over with laughter. Gabe looked like he was gathering steam for a blow up until Alex set down her drink and put her good arm around Cale. She said something in a low voice that made him relax a little. His shoulders lost some of their stiffness, and he uncrossed his arms. Then Cale's eyes softened and he allowed himself to be pulled into a half-hug.

Alex said in a louder voice, "Razz, tell him the good news."

Razz said, "There are medicinal herbs for the bath. Very healing."

"With everyone in it?" Cale asked in disbelief.

"The herbs will help us all feel better," Razz said. "And the heat will be good for our muscles."

Rile's voice was low and husky as he said, "How about just you and me, Alex?"

"Awww, that's sweet. We'll have a bath together later," she said. Then she whispered, "My powers are still drained."

"Maybe I don't care," he whispered back. "Maybe I want some time alone with you." Rile reached out and brushed a loose strand of hair from her face. He cupped her cheek in his hand and stared into her eyes. "I've missed you," he said. "I know you've been busy, but I've missed you."

"You said the magic words," Alex smiled up at him. "But let's have alone time when I'm recharged. Now let's dissect what happened in the healing bath and decide what we'll do about it." She sat up straight and announced, "Pool party!"

***

A/N

Dedicated to faithful readers

IanReeve216

Cocosghost

Jessica2985

I can't thank you enough for your patience and persistence in reading my stories!