CH 14.2 New Beginnings

Alex returned with a backpack of rations and a new tunic and pants for Drake. The pants were brown with a leather belt over them. She carried a tunic of dark green velvet embroidered with silver thread. The tunic had a scent of earth and flowers, light, with a hint of lavender. She handed them to him. Drake looked at the clothes, then went inside the tent. He changed into the fresh tunic and pants.

When he came out of the tent, Alex asked, "How was the theology lesson?"

"Could have been better, could have been worse," he answered with caution.

Cale smirked.

"Here's your payment." Alex handed Drake the backpack and clothing. "Maybe we'll have dinner by ourselves." She stuck her tongue out at Cale.

"Really?" Drake's expression lit up.

"Not really," Cale hissed at Drake.

"Be nice." Alex punched Cale's shoulder.

He raised an eye-ridge at her. "As you say: that was nice."

"Be nicer or you're uninvited to dinner." Alex leaned toward his tympanum and whispered, "It's about redemption. Be perfect for me."

Cale pulled her into a hug while Drake watched, posture tense.

"I thought you were worried, Alex," Drake said.

Alex disentangled from the hug, cheeks flushed red. Cale's gaze was hard on Drake, who returned it.

Cale's gaze softened as it turned toward Alex and, as if on instinct, his hand raised toward her in a gesture of comfort. "What were you worried about?" Cale asked.

"This is Drake's time, not mine." Alex patted Drake's shoulder. "Let's eat."

Alex kept piling food on Drake's plate and refilling his mug until he protested.

"I'll explode," he said at the third refill.

"Can't have that," Alex said. "Since we don't have dessert, martinis, or TV, we'll sleep." She rummaged in her pack and produced a jar. "Oiling first, then sleep. Into the tent. C'mon, Cale. You're the chaperone. You get oiled, too."

"Who oils you, Alex?" Drake asked and plucked the jar from her hands.

"Nobody. I have skin, not hide."

Drake waited until they were inside the tent to say, "That's not the real reason."

Alex took the jar back, opened it, and poured some in her hand. "You don't need to know the real reason, Mr. Busybody," Alex said as she warmed the oil in her palms. "Tonight is about you. I would think you would be happy about that. Take off your shirt and tunic, please."

"Maybe if Mr. Perfect weren't here."

Alex laughed, forestalling Cale's response. "You said that I wasn't your type, Drake. Stop upsetting Cale. That isn't nice. Tonight isn't about old grudges. Shirt and tunic off please, both of you. That will even the playing field."

Cale and Drake eyed each other with suspicion as they removed their shirts and tunics. Then Alex giggled, breaking the suspense.

"You two stop hosing down the ground with testosterone." Alex's hands were warm and slick with oil as she started down Drake's arms. "Tonight is about new beginnings. Thank you for giving one to that girl."

"You're welcome."

Cale took the oil jar. "Turn around, Alex. Drake, you, too. We'll form a line."

"Please scratch my back first," Alex said as she obeyed and tugged off her shirt. Her sturdy sports bra was underneath.