Cookie Tin

Not just the normal tin, but when opened there could be many things. What's in the tin? Is it old notes from a loved one, is it Pez dispensers, toys, pictures, sewing kits, or memories that are far more valuable than any treasure?

To me the tin is kept safe, for it is not your ordinary tin, it's navy blue with cookies all over and a gold bronze finish inside.

Is it empty, no one will know for it lays in a place that no children are allowed to touch? Sitting pretty on a glass shelf with a mirror behind, closed off behind crystal-like glass. The tin lay on the self with fine China which is more expensive than the tin itself. But what is inside is just as valuable as the fine-dining wear displayed around it.

When can it be touched? Not for some time, No one but the lady of the house can touch the plates and cups that are kept safe in the cabinet. The giant structure was built by hand and made from wood that is brown and red. A one-of-a-kind piece made with loving hands. This cabinet opens very few in the year, releasing the tin and crystal displayed there. But children cannot touch.

Where is the cabinet? In the white house that stands strong in Lakeview. Built to last forever but just like life, it comes unexpectedly, one day, age and wear and the outside forces brought it down.

This home was home to many memories that withheld old wood floors ceilings that were stucco, and a small, enclosed porch that held two chairs. It was rebuilt like many others that were lost as the flood and winds took it down, but it was not the same, and never lived in it again. The house now is gone for good but the memories of it are still strong.

Walking up the green stairs when one is so small. Memories were made in an open room with many old things, especially the green-blue recliner. The music of Elvis Presley was sung and many hugs were shared, next was an open space full of light an unused desk with old pictures and toys in a clear bin with a giant doll house next to it. The dining room had an air of grandeur, where laughs were shared, and the cabinet was accompanied by a mysterious dresser with many drawers. The first room that was connected to the dining room was a room dark in color but not scary and a comfy place. Moving further to the back a simple room with a table; one where first bites are taken, and lessons like counting cards and poker were taught. The pantry was just big enough for a hiding spot, next to it was the bathroom with a cast iron-like tub and a cute frog to accompany for the bath. In between the rooms, a small hallway two pictures one of a man and a woman hung a lady not seen with eyes that were aware but later seen when wiser. In the hallway was a room with a bed of king's stories were told hot cocoa and ice cream were eaten and the wise would watch over the one that could not fend for herself. Leaving the room and going back to the small dining area going further into the kitchen where nice smells would leave the old wooden cabinets too high for someone small and the fridge that was full of food and beer later to be replaced for barkers and gold coke cans. In the backyard where lessons were learned from another a girl learned to hit a ball and run to get it, a girl jumped on the trampoline, and the girl learned to garden even though it was not welcomed with her enthusiasm. But patience was given, and she learned and calmed.

In the end, it is all cherished, the house is still a home, and the tin will stay in a cherished place. The memories are never forgotten and the child now woman will one day go to the cabinet that holds the tin and chine for the old women can no longer do so.