cali gets kidnapped part four

Start from the beginning

"Yeah," Texas answered after a moment. "Ya said a psych eval?"

Dr. Raunk nodded. "I am concerned for his mental state. The psychiatrist will be able to recommend if California needs more intense psychological care before he can be released."

Texas frowned as California's heart rate sped up again. "Like, lock 'im up in a psych ward?" Texas asked incredulously.

Dr. Raunk held up his hands as if to show he was no threat. "It might be the best place for him to process what he's been through," he explained, turning towards the southern state. "He might need more care than I can provide here, or that can be provided at home."

Texas bit his lip. He wanted to snap at the doctor - he and the others at the Statehouse knew how to care for California just fine. But he held his tongue. He needed to be on good terms with the doctor to stay in California's room and to eventually get California discharged home. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

"All right," Texas finally ground out. He squeezed California's hand, almost instantly relaxing the injured state.

Dr. Raunk nodded once and left the room. Mari grabbed the breakfast tray and promised to bring them both something good for lunch.

Texas and California were alone again. The two looked at each other in silence. Texas took a few minutes to consider what he wanted to say.

"You're not bein' locked 'way," he promised. California swallowed, staying silent. "We can help ya. But I need ya to eat what they bring ya."

California nodded once. Texas sighed, uncertain just how much the other was processing.

"Wanna have the others visit?" Texas offered. California just blinked.

Texas sighed again. He went silent, trying to figure out how to reach California.

Try appealing to one of his cities, Austin offered.

Texas jumped a little in his seat. Austin had been silent for nearly a month now, so his sudden return was shocking.

Texas squeezed California's hand again and stood, moving to look out the window. "What good would that be?" he hissed under his breath.

Remember the accident? When you were hurt, Georgia and Kentucky called for me, Austin explained. I couldn't front because of your pain and trauma until someone else reached out for me.

Texas frowned. "Who'd I e'en ask fo'? I dunno his cities."

Sacramento, Austin supplied. His capital. Start there.

Texas closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and returned to his spot next to California's bed. He grasped one of California's hands with both of his own.

"Listen, I know you're hurtin', Poppy," Texas drawled. "But... I need some answers. Let Sacramento come out an' take o'er a bit."

Fear flashed through California's eyes. Texas felt a pang of guilt. It only took a moment for that fear to be replaced by a hard gaze.

"Let go," Sacramento requested, trying to pull his hand free. Texas immediately let go. "Why did you call me? Do you not see how hurt he is? How hurt we all are?"

"We need to talk," Texas replied simply, folding his arms over his chest. This would be just like dealing with his own cities, he realized. He knew how to handle them.

---

Washington walked into the kitchen with Oregon to grab lunch. A number of southern states were already there, as well as Colorado, casually chatting and prepping for a cookout they were planning that evening. When they noticed the two western states enter, they all fell silent and gave both a disgusted look. Colorado just looked away.